Rear wheel keeps warping

TheBikeBerry

Local time
10:10 AM
I have a 48cc cruiser, the rear wheel keeps bending and I have already busted 2 bearings. I also have a 80cc mtb with a 7s threaded freewheel. that I just built. Im thinking I need a heavy duty rear wheel, but cant decide on one. Anyone that has any thoughts or experience with this please chime in, I'm stuck on this one.

What wheel diameter (26" for both?) and what hub width "O.L.D." (110mm cruiser and 135mm MTB?)
and presumably 10mm axle on both?
How much do you want to spend?

I'm a big fan of Halo SAS but I haven't added any engine yet. Still never destroyed one dirt jumping & downhill MTBing either, and they are unfashionably heavy, so I feel pretty confident with them and got a used one off eBay for the rear of my build.. and two more for the front.. and a 24" Alienation Runaway on a Big Un, also for the rear. No wonder I haven't saved up to finish the build hahaha! :oops:

http://www.halowheels.com/products/part/WHHAS6KM

http://www.alienationbmx.com/part-2016/runaway-rim

I can't really help you on wheels that come with 110mm x 10mm rear hubs. Sorry

Yeah, they are both 26in, not 100% sure on the hub size, but you are probably right. Don't wanna spend a ton thought about mags for the cruiser from kings motorbikes.

You have to keep up on adjusting your spokes. If you let them get loose your will will destroy itself. Same with the bearings. Keep them lubricated. When you notice some play you have to get them replaced.

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch mags myself. I have hardly touched the spoke key in two decades of riding mountain bikes. Quality wheels don't seem to need it. I pay around £40-45 GBP per used wheel.
Ask yourself "What would Bender use?" Sun double wides I think but they won't fit your tyres and frame haha but I just mean spokes. Spoked wheels are really so much better than mags. In my humble opinion lol

I forgot to say you need to tell us whether you want a coaster brake. Go.d I hate beach cruisers. -_-

I wouldn't touch mags myself. I have hardly touched the spoke key in two decades of riding mountain bikes. Quality wheels don't seem to need it. I pay around £40-45 GBP per used wheel.
Ask yourself "What would Bender use?" Sun double wides I think but they won't fit your tyres and frame haha but I just mean spokes. Spoked wheels are really so much better than mags. In my humble opinion lol

I forgot to say you need to tell us whether you want a coaster brake. Go.d I hate beach cruisers. -_-
Hate beach cruisers? You cut me to the quick. Not really, to each his own. You can still use quality rims, brakes, and forks on the cruisers though.

Hate beach cruisers? You cut me to the quick. Not really, to each his own. You can still use quality rims, brakes, and forks on the cruisers though.
Haha yeah just personal preference and I forgot to mention that the OP has to tell us what sort of brakes.
So apparently Mr Bender has had a few bikes with the same Halo rims as mine. I just had to goggle it haha. But who the hek does this belong to? I am so jealous.
d88400dd06606fff8d9d88e44c7db007.jpg

Haha yeah just personal preference and I forgot to mention that the OP has to tell us what sort of brakes.
So apparently Mr Bender has had a few bikes with the same Halo rims as mine. I just had to goggle it haha. But who the hek does this belong to? I am so jealous.
View attachment 75653
That is pretty cool. Looks like you could jump off of loading docks with it. Their was on of those gt bikes with the suspension behind the seat post on craigslist for 400.00 a couple of weeks back. I had to battle myself not to get it. I have 4 personal motorized bikes now with 2 more bikes that aren't motorized in the shed that I also want for myself. Just the idea of that when I stop to think about it makes me question my judgment a little bit.

That is pretty cool. Looks like you could jump off of loading docks with it. Their was on of those gt bikes with the suspension behind the seat post on craigslist for 400.00 a couple of weeks back. I had to battle myself not to get it. I have 4 personal motorized bikes now with 2 more bikes that aren't motorized in the shed that I also want for myself. Just the idea of that when I stop to think about it makes me question my judgment a little bit.
I would be sceptical about the LTS frames. Old alloy mountain bikes are not necessarily the strongest and besides..
The old Rock Shox Coupe Deluxe trunion rear shocks on those do not stand up to real use. So the damping blows out and you get a springer back end with a too weak spring! Then the only way to replace it is with an air shock from an Identiti Dr Jekyll. Anyway they're actually rare and still need some special parts to adapt it to the GT LTS frame and it still isn't that great. Also the bushes are hard to come by and expensive. If only they had used nice standard bearings.
So might surprise you that saying that, I have actually got an ancient 4130 cromoly GT LTS 5 with an original springer back end (it was never a shock), but I want to get an ancient 4130 cromoly LTS 5000 in a smaller size and chop it up to (have a skilled welder) join the two bikes and put the 9" long Fox Vanilla RC shock from the Spesh' Big Hit between them.. future project that'll probably not happen for years so I threw it in the corner and am building a hardtail touring bike instead!
_20170219_062345.JPG

Back