Rear Wheels

I need some help deciding what to buy for a good rear wheel.
26"
I like the looks of the 72 and 144 spoke wheels.

Do they hold up.

I have gone thru 2 wheels in about 3 months.

What brand and how much do i relly need to spend.

I'm using a Velocity Psycho 26 inch double wall aluminum (1 1/2 inches wide) rim laced with 36, 105 gauge SS spokes on my new Golden Eagle belt drive bike. It is a downhill racing wheel, very strong and durable. Mine has a disc brake hub set up to take a 7 speed cassette, but other hubs are available. You can find them on line at Golden Eagle Bike Engines or direct from Velocity Wheels. It is quite an expensive wheel, but I expect it to last for many many years without any problems, thus saving money in the long run.

Last edited:
I don't know how easy it would be to mount a sprocket on a 72 or 144 spoke wheel, but my guess it that it would need to be a custom mount. I have Worksman wheels with 11 ga spokes on my Whizzer, and they are darned near bomb-proof. A good option that costs less would be Husky's heavy duty rear wheel with Shimano Coaster brake and 12ga spokes (keep in mind, the standard wheel has 14ga spokes): http://www.huskybicycles.com/Mercha...=500-224&Category_Code=wheels&Product_Count=3

I don't care for coaster brakes.
Thinking if i go with a spocket to disk brake mount or use Maniac Mechanic adapter my wheel problems will go away.
The std rag joint sprocket setup is bad for the wheel.
I think it is the real problem.

rear wheel

let's start with a 12 gauge minimum standard as proven time & again.

what exactly you want your final wheel config to be depends on pedal-preferences and drive-train style...but sometimes what it actually turns out to be depends on budget.

certain configs are available off-the-rack for next to nothing ie the basic 105G steel shimano coaster, and used to be a basic 105G steel freewheel but i haven't seen one in a while. assuming the minimum standard, at the low-to-mid budget, your options are slim. searching worksman and husky is your best bet for the best choices, imo. i'm curious-->anyone here ever actually see a worksman # "C6R" rear drum wheel for sale anywhere?

golden eagle offers coaster & freewheel (disc or rim brakes) with 12G SS spokes, spendy but worthy, imo. i loved mine, beach cruzin' luvs 'em now, and 'mike45's new one sounds kick-butt.

i now use 2 custom wheels, moped ('82 amf) drum-brake hubs, clincher steel rims, 10G front, 9G rear (singlespeed freewheel)...VERY heavy but they'll outlive me. i dunno who built the front one, but The Wheelmaster (a member here) built the rear one & it's a work of art.

all depends on how deep it's got you, and how much you believe, i guess...if you know you're gonna ride for a long time, save for & buy the best right off...otherwise find the best mechanical/economical compromise and go for it.

btw-i know this, if it helps. on a basic 12G steel wheel, when installed meticulously, a HT sprocket assembly will do just fine & cause no damage. i put around 3k on one with various HT's & a range of sprocket sizes, and then used the same wheel for a gebe for over 5k easy.

front wheels are a different story, tons of affordable (drum or disc) options that work for MB'ing.

Finally Found Something

Well after calling every bike shop in town.
I guess i'm gonna give this a try.

26" Mach 1 double wall rim "FRENCH MADE"
Cannondale disk brake ready hub.
He's had it for a wile so he's givin it to me cheap.
$80.00 bucks.

Now it won't have 12 ga spokes but from what i know it has the more expensive ones.

I could at some time hopefully get it re-laced.

I also will have to buy a casset but for $20.00 bucks it could be worse.

I just hope she holds up, if i trash a $100 setup quick ill be upset.

I plan to mount the drive sprocket by using a custom made sprocket and some adapter plates to the disk brake.

The rim is compatable with regular v brakes also so i will still have the same brake setup.

I'll post pics and Drawings for my Sprocket adapter later.

I don't know how easy it would be to mount a sprocket on a 72 or 144 spoke wheel, but my guess it that it would need to be a custom mount. I have Worksman wheels with 11 ga spokes on my Whizzer, and they are darned near bomb-proof. A good option that costs less would be Husky's heavy duty rear wheel with Shimano Coaster brake and 12ga spokes (keep in mind, the standard wheel has 14ga spokes): http://www.huskybicycles.com/Mercha...=500-224&Category_Code=wheels&Product_Count=3

kilroy will this last me a long time? i need to find a good back wheel. cheers

12G shimano coaster wheel

a long time...
...on a basic 12G steel wheel, when installed meticulously, a HT sprocket assembly will do just fine & cause no damage. i put around 3k on one with various HT's & a range of sprocket sizes, and then used the same wheel for a gebe for over 5k easy.
this feat required regular servicing/adjustment of the bearings, using high-temp auto-grade bearing grease.

i have also i love them
Velocity Psycho 26 inch double wall aluminum (1 1/2 inches wide) rim laced with 36, 14 gauge i think there thicker in the middle of the spoke stainless steel spokes iam here in Chicago ride downtown nightly never adjust them in a year and there still very true i have my wheels posted in my albums there black ones
great wheels i got mine from yellow jersey or Harris cycle one of them
and
i welded a sprokett to a stormy archer 3 speed hub but
now clam shell adopters are available i will be geting a better hub for the rear
and have a stormy archer front hub drum brake dynamo up front

Not sure about price but the rear wheel on the Yuba Mundo cargo bike has a beefy 14mm axle, sealed cartridge bearings,48, 13 gauge spokes and a 26 x 1.75 Aluminum rim. It comes with 26x 2.125" tires.The Yuba is rated at 400 lbs of cargo load.

Is this any help?

Back