reclaimer's Dyno Roadster w.i.p.

Test fit the rear wheel today.

It needed to be spread 1.5" or so, further than it wanted to go. So I grabbed the jack out of the car. Loosely draped a hand towel over it. Slid it between the dropouts. Slowly cranked it open 3-3.5", removed the jack. I was then able to open it enough(with a lil force), to fit the wheel.

Mounted my headlight with some bar ends and other hardware I found laying around. Some of its going to change but you get the gist.

One of my fears raised its ugly head. Mounting the engine where it is looks cool, but it raises the chain line up into the frame. Not sure how I'll deal with that. I'd love to try a two speed jack shaft(dont know if it would work). Might be too much being my first real build. Any ideas?

Attachments

• S5030015.jpg
    S5030015.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 228
  • S5030019.jpg
    S5030019.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 229
  • S5030018.jpg
    S5030018.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 284
  • S5030022.jpg
    S5030022.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from the pics just where the chain is going to give you trouble, but maybe you could take care of it with a tensioner, or a narrower chain, or some washers on the axle? Not sure I understand why the frame had to spread by 1 1/2". That is really alot.

The frame needed to be spread so much cause the HD hub is much wider than the coaster hub was. I was unable to come close by hand. The spreading is a none issue though It was easy and had no effect on the chain path.(at least not with bmx chain)

edit: Even now that its been spread I have to pull them apart to get the wheel in.

The chain just rides too high, hitting the crossbar the fender bolts to. Heres another pic, better angle.

Attachments

• S5030012-1.jpg
    S5030012-1.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 227
I see what you mean. Do you think you might have to reposition the engine to drop down a bit? I like the mount that you made. Hope you can make it work!

Can you go to a smaller rear sprocket? That would lower the top run of the chain.

Since it'll have a centrifugal clutch in the drive train it may be tricky to start, being a H.T.

I remember a vid here of a fella standing next to his bike. He let out the clutch picked up the rear, kicked the peddle down, an it started up. I'm thinking of something similar.

the drive train looks kinda like this. H.T. to a jack shaft(1) with a dual sprocket cent. clutch to a 2 speed jack shaft(2) then to the rear wheel.

I'm thinking of running the peddle chain to the 1st jack shaft connected with a freewheel to kick it over. hmm than I'd not be able to peddle it. Might have to add an electric starter.

Will not using my H.T. clutch hurt it, just leaving it engaged?

Attachments

• 355.jpg
    355.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 210
It seems like I saw somewhere someone using a cordless drill for a starter. I can't remember where. The prices at DB Electrical look good. I'd like to see how you would mount one.

Back