Recommend a bike for my 7 mile one way commute?

cdevidal

Local time
4:52 AM
I've been reading many forum posts and searching all over the web but am not any closer to an answer. Can you help?

* My commute is 7 miles one way on mostly level streets
* I am 6' tall and weigh 260lbs and expect to carry up to 50lbs of gear (backpack, lunch, gear, bags, etc.). This means I usually go tall and thick on frames.
* I want to go at least 20mph
* I'm in Jax, FL and we get 60" of rain per year so moisture is a big deal
* Prefer long-term reliability and ride comfort (shocks/sprung front, sprung seatpost and/or will install a Brooks saddle, NOT skinny 700c but prefer big tires, strong spokes, steel frame?)
* Prefer a new bike, am TIRED of inheriting other people's problems!
* I've got a Huasheng 49cc, frame mounted and a separate fuel tank from an unknown seller (Craigslist second-hand that was mounted on a bike that is now trashed)
* Bought the Dax "In-Frame 4 Stroke Gear Box Package Deal" since the gearbox that came with it was absolute junk. This includes a gear box 3:1, 14T front, 72T rear, 62" 102 link 8mm racing chain
* Less than $600
* Braking power would seem to be important, but I doubt I need full disk brakes (right?)
* Will likely install solid neverflat inserts

What bike would you use?

Last edited:
For new have a look at Torker bikes, they have a good rep and maybe something there in that price range. Also, I know you said you didn't want used but I prefer to go that route myself, with an eye toward value and evaluating condition, for 500 I could find a very good bike that would probably retail new for over a grand.

I know what you mean, and I wouldn't want a used cheap bike but with a little higher end bike that comes through with decent components to begin, there's not much hidden, not like buying a used car or such. That's the great thing about bicycles, they are relatively easy to assess and remedy if needed.. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Thinking about what you said, I'm considering a used low-mile Trek/Cannondale/Motobecane. I can take it to a LBS for a once-over. I don't suppose it'll go over $600 if I do that.

Also I can get a customized Worksman cruiser with springer forks, dual hub brakes and some other customizations for $586 before shipping. Just concerned about that middle bar, but likely I can cut it w/out sacrificing much durability. If I can just allow myself to cut a brand new bike :wince:

Last edited:
Yeah, I get it you're wanting to fit an engine in the front triangle but myself I wouldn't cut a frame like that, that's just me. Worksman enjoys a certain rep for durability and all but I find them a bit clunky, heavy too. To each their own. Felt is another label that gets talked about in a similar vein. Personally, I'm partial to good quality vintage chromoly mountain bikes.

I have had an aluminum frame Raleigh now for 5 years. It has over 5,000 pedaling miles on it and at least 5,000 motored (2 48cc & 2 66cc) miles on it. It has outlasted 3 engines and is still riding strong with a crack in it. I ordered another Raleigh with a steel frame. A 20" frame is the minimum size if you want to fit a motor. They only run $360.00. Raleigh is one of the oldest bicycle companies in the world and they also used to make motorcycles. Regardless, that is the bike I choose.

Back