Registration in California is not possible and not required

Thank you Mike -- It took a little while -- MAYBE MORE THAN THAT -- BUT -- now after reading -- MUCH in regards to Calif. laws -- thanks to this site and ones such as you -- I will be sending in for my plate -- and hope to have no troubles !!! Old guy in the mountains with no drivers license -- just wanting to get around a little !!! Have a good day, from Mountainman

Well said Mike -- if we meet the said simple requirments regarding a motorized bicycle in Calif. -- mail in for the -- one time plate... Seems that Calif. is actually ahead of most states -- in this area...

Night Rider

Hello again from Oceanside CA!!! Well, Akryamoto, with your LICENSE you can ride at night, with your PERMIT you are not allowed to.Maybe this is to encourage finishing up your license requirements? I dunno, just a guess,

Mike (The guy with the Sea Breaze)

Motorized Bicycle Instructions/Application

Things may have changed since 2007 because I found the above entitled California DMV form at the DMV site. As I interpret things I believe that you are required to file this within 5 days of taking it on the road. So, new MB riders may want to check it out before making the decision to go on the road.
-Raulin

ok ill pay dmv but i got a couple questions. first i have a ht motor, no engine numbers, do i just give it some? and the bike, the form asks for a vin number, bike serial number or what. i want to get my plates, 2 bikes, but dont know were to get these numbers that dmv wants. please help, dont want no problums with the popo

Here is what I found in the DMV Motorcycle Handbook:
MOTORIZED BICYCLES
There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:
- A two- or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:
- fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
‑ an internal combustion engine producing less than two gross brake horse-
power and an automatic transmission.
‑ an electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (VC Sec.406[a])

- A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. The motor must stop when the brakes are applied or the starter switch is released (VC Sec.406).

With this in mind I have opted for definition number 1. Within definition number 1 it includes mention of an electric bike but only to stipulate that the electric bike may be with or without pedals which, yes, aligns with VC sec. 406[a]. However, the one with a gas engine must have pedals.

As for the numbers to put on the form I used the bike serial number in both places. Someone else in the forum recommended this.

I am waiting to see what I hear from DMV and I will post that info hear.

Thank you all,
-Raulin :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Make

Hill Climber,
My bicycle is a Schwinn (make of the bike) and that's what I put on the Reg 230 form. I just sent it off last week. So, they probably haven't opened it yet.
-Raulin

Back