Registration in California is not possible and not required

Sorry to throw another wrench into the mix, but what do you guys think about all of this:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc_index_m.htm#motordrivencycle

Defined:
405. A "motor-driven cycle" is any motorcycle with a motor that displaces less than 150 cubic centimeters. A motor-driven cycle does not include a motorized bicycle, as defined in Section 406.

Amended Ch. 1359, Stats. 1990. Effective January 1, 1991.
Amended Ch. 928, Stats. 1991. Effective October 14, 1991.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 342, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.

5000. (a) Identification plates issued for trailers, semitrailers, motor-driven cycles, and pole and pipe dollies, and such vehicles as are exempt from the payment of registration fees under this code shall display suitable distinguishing marks or symbols, and the registration numbers assigned to each class of vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, except that registration numbers assigned to vehicles exempt from the payment of registration fees may run in several separate numerical series.

(b) Vehicles subject to Sections 9400 and 9400.1 shall be issued license plates with suitable distinguishing marks or symbols distinguishing them from other license plates issued.

(c) Vehicles subject to Section 5014.1 shall be issued permanent identification plates with suitable distinguishing marks or symbols that distinguish them from other license plates.
Amended Sec. 21, Ch. 861, Stats. 2000. Effective September 29, 2000. Operative December 31, 2001.

Now the way I read that part about registration, wouldn't the serial numbers on our bikes be considered the registration numbers?

I know that many of you have been able to register your bikes through the DMV, but that is using their definition of a "motorized bicycle". Couldn't our bikes fit under the definition of "motor-driven cycles" as well?

I know that many of you have been able to register your bikes through the DMV, but that is using their definition of a "motorized bicycle". Couldn't our bikes fit under the definition of "motor-driven cycles" as well?

No. If motorized bicycles were not clearly defined in the Vehicle Code, then you might have a point -- but there is a clear definition (thank you, CA legislature) and as such there is no question that motorized bikes are not "motor-driven cycles". Vehicles in an explicitly defined classification (motorized bikes) are excluded from any broader classification, either implicitly (motor-driven cycles) or by exclusions in the code itself ("motorized bicycles are not motor vehicles"). Otherwise you could argue that everything with two wheels and a motor is a motorcycle, which is obviously not a useful approach.

The requirements are clear, easy to follow, and favorable to buzzbikes. Pony up a one-time fee of $18 accompanied by a one-page form, mailed to Sacramento, and you have permanently registered your buzzbike with the state. Heck, I paid $17 instead of $18 and they *still* issued my plate and registration. When I go in to take my M1/M2 written test next week I'm going to check to see if I owe the state $1 for the difference. :)

The benefit to you, the law-abiding motorized bike enthusiast, is that your rig is now registered with the state and easily traceable in case of theft. Compared to the cost of the Lojack-like services for laptop computers and the like, a fee of $18 is an absolute bargain for lifetime registration searchable by any cop in CA who might come across a miscreant on a stolen buzzbike.

-AG

Last edited:
Upon further consideration:

If you build a bike which exceeds the VC 406(a) definition of motorized bike, i.e. by putting a 125cc 5HP motor that'll net you 50mph on the flat, then YES you have built a "motor-driven cycle" (MDC). My previous reply assumes that you are actually trying to qualify for the favorable treatment available under the 406(a) regulations.

I haven't looked closely at the MDC regs, but I would be very, very surprised if you could actually start with a bike and build a fully-legal MDC in any practical fashion. DOT tires would be a showstopper, for example. Even IF you could do it in theory, you'd end up with a bike frame mounting a bunch of motorcycle parts.

I'll accept a nominal speed limit of 30mph and a reasonable requirement that I actually know how to safely operate a motorized 2-wheeler in traffic (i.e. M1/M2 license) in exchange for minimal regulation of equipment and the ability to use bike lanes instead of the roadway. Moving up to the MDC level would mean, for example, that I could not commute to work on my bike -- can't ride an MDC on the freeway *or* the bike lane, so I couldn't cross the Dumbarton bridge to/from work.

Hope this helps. I should probably go do some actual work instead of playing around here. :)

-AG

:) i was confused on the laws and i studied my rear off and talked to the fuzz, dmv and a lot of google searching to figure it out.

======================================================
as of 2008, there are two definitions of a motorized bike. 406a or 406b.

406a has to be:
a two or three wheeled device capable of no more then 30 mph on level ground and equipped with:
-fully operative pedals for human propulsion
-an internal combustion engine producing less than 2 gross break horse power and an automatic transmission
-an electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion.
406b:
a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor nor more then 1000 watts which cannot be driven at speeds of more then 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. the motor must stop when brakes are applied or starter switch is released.

if yours meets 406b:
must be 16 years of age or older
-must wear a helmat fitted and fastened
-are expect from the motor vehicle finafcial responsibility, drivers lic and moped plate requirements.

if yours meets the 406a:
then you must register your bike by filling out reg 230 form and paying a one time fee of $18.00 YOU DO NOT NEED A M2 OR M1 LIC AND YOU DO NOT NEED INSURANCE. you do have to ride in the bike lane at moderate speed and use hand signals when nessicary.

Ca registration

Cordorroy, Please search MY posts upon this subject thruout this board. I am sure, that if you do you will find the true answer which is a state requirement for the M2 or better license.

IF after searching my posts you cannot find it, I will find it for you. We NEED to stay in compliance in CA. as the rules here are easier than many other states, and we do not wish to make it worse on anyone.

thanks in advance

Mike

YOU DO NOT NEED A M2 OR M1 LIC AND YOU DO NOT NEED INSURANCE. you do have to ride in the bike lane at moderate speed and use hand signals when necessary.

Please list your sources for this part!

I did find some mb laws online that said it was ok to ride a motorized bicycle in the bike lane... wish I could remember where, possibly the same place you found it? Maybe in city or county laws but I know it also says in state law you're not allowed in the bike lane!

As far as no M1 M2 license, I'm not so sure about that one.

the dmv handbook...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/pubs.htm
page 3 collum 2 paragraph 2
"you may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a resonable speed. be careful of bicyclist using the lane."

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm
406. (a) a "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two- wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative peddles for propulsion by human power, or having no pedles if powered solely by electrical energy. and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less then 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling at a maximum speed of not more then 30 mph on level ground.

on the dmv.ca.gov website... if you go under forms and you look up "motorized bicycle instructions/application" if your bike is under 2 gross brake horsepower and goes less then 30 mph, has two or three wheels and peddles then you pay a registration fee of $18.00. ((i dont have refrences, only a reciept ;) )) IF you answer to No on any of the above " your vehicle is NOT a motorized bicycle as defined by the california vehicle code 406. Complete application for registration (reg 343) to apply for appropriate registration" - section A paragraph 2 thus if you dont fit vc 406 you must have a M2, different registration and insurace.

sabala-
you can print the dmv motorcycle handbook 2008 from online! it has everything in there. thats what i did. i printed that out and the vc 406 and also the form i filled out at the dmv for registration and carry it with me when i ride. just incase i might need it oneday.
:)

Back