Reliability - Mitsubishi TLE43

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Alaskavan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I just hit 1000 miles an my Mitsubishi TLE 43, and I don't even know where the head bolts are. I've never needed to take the plastic cover off. When purchasing a motor, I think it's a good idea to consider maintenance issues. The only problem I've experienced with the motor was a spark plug not firing correctly at high rpm. And when that happened, 20 miles out of town, I limped home with a maximum speed of about 24 mph, rode it to work the next day, and changed the plug. No biggie.

I have experienced problems with the mounting, but I blame myself for that.
    I: a) Should have bought support struts for both sides (Staton recommends it); and b) shouldn't have hit that big rock.
    That said, I would not rcommend a friction drive if you intend to ride in inclement weather. When the drive roller is wet, it's near useless.

Just thought I'd share these insights.

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Thanks for the sparkplug tip, Alaska. my MITSUBISHI has a mid-to-high speed range. changing/checking the plug should be the easiest fix.

what sparkplug and gap are you running?

i like my MITS engine also. more guts than my 1.6hp SUBARU, and not much louder.

upon recommendation from Dave Staton, i upgraded from friction to gear chain. i'm glad i did.

Myron

3. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I put in an Autolite 2974. I just eyeballed the gap. It looked to be somewhere in the .25 - .30 range.

I bought a couple of those HD Hubs from bicylcle-engines. I'm thinking about doing something with one of them to get away from friction. (Something a bit unusual, but I'm not ready to post about it yet. The idea is still gelling.)

4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:you could build a rack system. STATON sells a 3:11 gear reduction box that replaces the clutch. with that, the rear sprocket might just be 48t, with an 8-tooth engine sprocket.

it used to take me 35 exciting minutes to travel 5 miles to work. that was with 1.6hp ROBIN/SUBARU and friction drive.

with MITSUBISHI engine and gear chain, it takes me 25 hair-raising minutes, a 28.57% decrease in driving time.

in average morning traffic, my car gets me to work in 21 minutes. i'd probably reach work faster on my bike if i used the main roads. however with the way morning rush hour people drive, i'd be taking my life into my own hands.

my only beef with this MITSUBISHI engine is that it takes a LOT of pulls to start the engine, even when warm. the ROBIN started within 2 pulls.

Myron

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:Alaska, i bought and installed the $1-something AUTOLITE plug. the original NGK plug looked ok, with brown color(good sign).

it seemed to smooth out top speed. i was wondering why i was having that problem when i realized that i was spinning the engine at 8700rpm.(peak hp is @ 8500rpm.):shock:

when i change to a bigger drive sprocket, rpm @ 30mph should drop to 7800rpm. the miss should disappear at 30mph(41mph if i had 26" tires).

as of late, i've been driving my DAHON every weekend. it's all "gas and go".

6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Mine was hard to start until I figured out that I'd err'd when putting the carb cover on. It was sitting so that the choke wouldn't work. I fixed that and she starts good.

7. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

:cool:I'll go check mine.

Myron

8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I didn't have the 2 prong thingies in their slots on the bottom. I wrote about it in that thread about dumb things some of us have done. I forget the name of it.

9. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

A note about the Mitsu engine. I didn't prep it for winter, and I didn't bring it in the house. Today, as I was digging a path from the road to the house, wide enough for the trike, I came across my K-2.
    101_1416_1.jpg

101_1418_1.jpg

I took it inside the cabin to let it thaw out a little.
    101_1419.jpg

I replaced the gas/oil. She cranked right up. I took it out for a bit of a ride. Despite how my yard looks, the road is clear. I'd forgotten how quiet the Mitsu is. Good motor.

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I probably have 1,000 and 500 miles on my TLE 43 engines: "Mitsu" and "Bishi".:grin5:

Like the others I've never lifted the covers, except to install expansion chambers. I'll probably pull the plugs and read them(might be running lean with improved exhaust and non-adjustable carbs).

The front engine position took the high rpm beatings from 1.25"-1.375" rollers pushing to 35mph. Now both friction spindles are 1.5" diameter.

Both engines are now singing happily. :grin5:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
  11. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

That's some real testimony to reliability, how an engine endures in an extreme climate like an Alaskan winter. Mitsubishi should be sponsoring that! :devilish:

Good to hear though really, 'cause I own four of them now. :D

As an aside, there are several clones from China made to look like these engines. I wonder how they hold up?

12. g1manalo

g1manalo Member

Hard To Start

My Tanaka 40 takes 4- 5 pulls to start with a lot of torque on engine, im starting to strain my arm. I rotated the pull start going down, put a round chord on the pull start and and kick start it. Less strain for my arm. i dont know if you can do this to the mitsu and bishi

13. adb140275

adb140275 Member

I probably have 50 miles on my clone and its doing fine... its loud though.

(Yes, I am bumping an old thread. Get over it.)

14. Ypedal

Ypedal Member

I like mine so far, only have 2 tanks thru it but it's way better than my HT bike.. ( using staton gearbox with hub and chain, not friction ) ..

the mitsu is a hard starter tho.. anyone have reference pictures or such for the comments about having the cover on wrong ? I have removed mine a few times and i think i'm sure i have it on right but .. hey.. i'm guilty of donig stupid things regularly ! hehe.

15. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I had the intake cover on wrong for a while, made it real hard to start. As I recall, there are a couple of tabs on the bottom of the cover that I didn't have in their slots.

Speaking of the carb on the Mitsu, Mine died and I just replaced it. About $70. Has anyone rebuilt their carb? It would be a lot cheaper.

16. kerf

kerf Guest

My old TLE43 was on my wifes bike that was stolen. The motor had well over 1000 miles on it, was quiet, ran great and most importantly, required almost no maintenance. Clean the air filter, maybe a new plug but I never replaced the factory plug. It always required several pulls when cold but only 1/2 pull warm. It brings a tear to the eye to think about it because that was the most bullet proof bike motor I ever owned.

17. panther

panther New Member

Need some help PLEASE I was running my mitisu tle 43cc motor yesterday 3-12-11 and it was running fine but then it started bogging down and stopped running.I got it to start up again ran it about 20 yards and stopped again. The mix gas i think calls for 40:1 ratio??? im running 50:1 mix could this have been why it quit running. I'm brand new to these motors and my staton friction drive kit on my bike,I really like this set up but need some help on what to do now PLEASE HELP thanks Panther.

18. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

How you doing with the problem? Some of the suppliers recommend 40:1 for break-in on the TLE then going to 50:1, personally I split the difference and run 45:1. The 50:1 ratio is so emissions pass CARB II standards. It doesn't sound like the fuel mix is the problem though it might be in the fuel system.

If it were mine I'd pull the spark plug and take a look. It should be tan to light brown. If it's black, sooty with carbon or oily it's running too rich. The other end of the scale is if it's stark white, running too lean. If you pull the spark plug to check it, while you have it out attach the plug wire and isolate the plug so it cannot shock you and pull the starter cord a couple of times. You should see a nice blue spark at the plug.

If the plug looks good, the problem might be bad gas, dirty fuel filter or clogged fuel line. Check your fuel and fuel system and air filter.

How old is the engine, how many miles/hours does it have and was it stored well and fuel system drained? Was the engine running well before and then started acting up? The TLE's I've had were great running engines and seemed to get better with age.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  19. mlcorson

mlcorson Member

Check your choke...sounds like something simple like your running rich.

20. katoomer

katoomer New Member

One small possibility. I haven't worked on a small two-stroke in ages but one of them I had. If you get some of that achol-blended fuel it could cause that fuel diaphram to harden up. It pumps the fuel up into the carburator. That would cause a symptom like you are running out of fuel. Its easy to check it. It must be very rubber like condition. Flexible.