Reliable Analog Speedometer

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by 4doora, Mar 23, 2008.

1. 4doora

4doora Guest

I've been searching around the forum trying to find a good analog speedometer.
    There are a few people who have mentioned having an analog speedo that works well, but they don't list the type or where to buy.
    I'm looking for something under $20.
    Can anyone help me out?

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

the only reliable analog is of a moped or even whizzer type
    bicycle ones cannot handle the torque/vibratios we put them thru
    (I wasted 2 of them)
  3. hot70cc

hot70cc Guest

Bell Speedo

Very True, i have a BELL speedo from walmart, and all goes well up to 25mph, its not till then that the speedo goes haywire and starts to register numbers that are not even close like as soon as it gets up to 25mph it then registers numbers like 6, 15, back to 7 and so one. So i'm out 20bucks. I have a GIANT brand for my mountain motorised bicycle speedo and it works like it should.
  4. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

yours does that too???? mine goes up to around 35-40 and then mine does that. only on my ray though, i got the same one on my murray, and its fine!
    the 1st pic, is on my motored bikes (wired) and the 2nd is on my push biike and is wireless. if you cant find a good analog, i would still reccomend the wired. its the best for the 20 bucks.
  5. Demosthenese

Demosthenese Guest

i had read somewhere that the cdi will screw up some wireless spedos, and wired ones too if the wires came too close to the cdi.

I had a cheapy wireless speedo on m mtb. Worked fine before the motor, but wouldn't work properly afterwards. Just kept registering weird values.
  6. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

Yes... The High Voltage..

True..The Spark Plug wire is Copper and not RF Suppressor type. IF you need to, you can change out the copper HV wire and boot with an automotive RF suppressor type. This may allow for Wireless speedos. Also..All the Analog type Speedos I have used and at one time started to sell, have all freaked out after using them for a few hundred miles. I am still searching for a Quality Analog Speedo to use as well as Supply. Thanks..Enjoy the ride..
  7. blubenz

blubenz New Member

i just bought this onebut i havent got it yet its for 26 27 wheels and it comes with instructions. ill let you know when i get it on.
  8. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Anxiously awaiting your results. I hate these electronic gizmos. Only complaint I've heard of the analog is they mess up at speed. Please let us know how it goes.
  9. blubenz

blubenz New Member

the main reason i got it was for the odometer so i can charge the company mileage (lol) but i will let you know how it does on the spedo.
  10. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

sorry to say but..

You bought the one that freaks out after a few hundred miles or so. Sorry to tell you that. I too am looking for a quality analog speedo for my bike. Enjoy the ride..
  11. eltatertoto

eltatertoto Guest

now that i have found the correct name ill buy it. id rather have to buy one after a while, than reset the ~ insert cussword here~thing every 5 miles!!! my old digi one finaslly carped out, and i bought 1 a couple weeks agao, and now i just go by sound of the engine, cause i got tired of resetting. when my engine flattens out, thats when im at 20-25. (not full throttle)
  12. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

I use the schwinn 12 function on 5 of my bikes and they work perfect! I had 1 reading 51 mph and it read the same as my gps, and the good news its less then 10 buck at walmart.
  13. blubenz

blubenz New Member

glad i could half-way help
  14. datz510

datz510 Member

I second the schwinn wired electronic speedo from walmart. For $10, it works very well. I had a more expensive wireless one on there before and it died the first time I got it up to 20mph and wouldnt work after that. I leave mine on the speedo/odometer screen and dont use any of the other functions. Its also ncie that it turns on automatically when the bike starts rolling,
  15. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

I have a Pyramidf-F8 wired, it seems to work up to 10mph and then gives different readings 7,12,3, and so on. I then thought I would go with a mechanical (cable type) so I got a 26-27 retro from bike world. It lasted about 3 days, then went crazy. (must only have a 30/30/3 warranty) 30mi,30mph, or 3 days wich ever comes first. The speed-o went to 50mph. I would rather have a cable type, But WHERE can I find one?
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  16. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

If you find one that works, would you let me know?
  17. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

My Pyramid F-8 does the same thing! I have read that the magnet is not strong enough. I have a stronger magnet,(same dia. just thicker) just need to attach it to the spoke mount. Directions were not clear on how far from axle center to attach. It can be calibrated for rim & tire size, But that is still no help if you don't know where to attach the magnet. + it has auto power off (good thing) But when it powers up (from wheel movement) it goes right to calibration mode! It is also the size of a wrist watch. ( If had GPS I would feel like James Bond 007) LoL.
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  18. stackz

stackz New Member

not much help since I dont remember who makes it lol but here's mine.

its a true analog needle type speedo and has a built in odo as well. its run off the front wheel.

just posting a pic of the bike so you can see the speedo on it and maybe someone will recognize it.

If I remember correctly, it was $27 shipped. works great and surprisingly accurate!