removing stock muffler end cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyjourney

Local time
8:40 AM
I can't get the thing off. I unscrewed all the screws, i grabbed the rounded end with a adjustable wrench and tried my ****edest and grabbed the end pipe and tried twisting that around and all i've managed to do is scratch off the paint. any suggestions or methods that you guys use?

Baffle

What you're trying to take off is the Baffle. I've never seen one welded on but I have seen some really tight ones. Try separating it at the seam with a screwdriver. You might have to bump it good with a hammer. Good Luck.
Big Red.

the only way that i could get mine out (on more than one pipe) was to cut off the head pipe and put a brass punch down into to the muffler so that it was on the baffle plate.
then, hitting the brass punch with a hammer i was able to knock the baffles out of the muffler bodies.
this can bend up the baffle plate and you would have to cut your head pipe off to do it this way.
I cut my head pipes off because i made new pipes, modified the baffles and put the baffles back into the muffler bodies. the mufflers are now on the end of custom made pipes.

Baffle

Hey Moto, You can do all my exaust systems, I don't have a welder. And theres the rub, I think a lot of us don't have any way to weld. I know you do some awesome things in your shop, I've seen some of it. But most of us are stuck doing things the hard way. I think he's probably stuck with(gently as possible) beating it off. (Now that I wote that it sounds bad).
But I do have a question. Happy, WHY do you want it off. The bikes are WAY too loud to run without it and it's ill-eagle in most states. The neighbors are gonna complain, trust me.
Big Red.

Hey Moto, You can do all my exaust systems, I don't have a welder. And theres the rub, I think a lot of us don't have any way to weld. I know you do some awesome things in your shop, I've seen some of it. But most of us are stuck doing things the hard way. I think he's probably stuck with(gently as possible) beating it off. (Now that I wote that it sounds bad).
But I do have a question. Happy, WHY do you want it off. The bikes are WAY too loud to run without it and it's ill-eagle in most states. The neighbors are gonna complain, trust me.
Big Red.

you're right on every account.

after you have the nut undone see if the thread is jamming up agents the hole this is the problem i had and after i got the end off i could bend the all thread but the company that i got mine from pyre build and test all there motors but i did notice that the pipe had a few small scratches near the seam so i think they had to use a screw driver to get it apart and then welded some all thread and i have double nutted every thing i can and use loctite on every thing

I have a exhaust that the nut threads off and the cap comes off easy but baffle are like built into it.I would like to remove them noise saves life.I don't know about the back pressure would it hurt the 2 stroke engine if I knock the baffle and stuff out of it.Just thinking red or motor you guys might help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back