Removing the Threaded Rods From motor mount(Happy Time)

jboisclair

Local time
3:06 AM
Hey I was hoping someone could tell me how to remove the threaded studs from the motor.(HAPPY TIME) One of mine broke off,(My first build lol) I havent gotten a close look at it yet but I was wondering if you had to take apart the whole engine or just unscrew it somehow.

I would like to replace all of the mounts with the m6 or m8 threaded rod im not sure which one it is, but hopefully they will be much higher quality and will not snap on me again.

Thanks

(Now to get a new master link clip because that also broke on me)

hi jb; run one nut on then another, tighten them together, put wrench on lower nut and remove. i replaced all hardware. buy allthread and cut it for studs. take one of each of the others to a hard ware and get replacements and extras. mitch

you might have to drill into the end of the broke stud and use an easy out, or other remover, to back the broken piece out. also make sure your mounts set flush on the frame if not file them so they do and that should help

If the broken stud is sticking out, use a vise group and twist it out. If it is broken and not sticking out, you will need to drill a small hole in the stud and use an appropriately sized ez out extractor to remove it. Use a punch to mark the center of the stud before you drill the hole or the drill bit will wander

Has anyone found a source for the metric threaded rod in a high strength alloy? I am getting a HT engine and want to take care of any known reliability issues before I even start it!

You can get 10.9 if you go to some more exotic extremes however you may then run into brittleness issues, 9.8 may be ideal, but really 8.8 is all you need. You won't pull threads or worry about them snapping even up to 18 ft-#'s, which is above what the Chengines recommend.

Did the broken stud break off flush (even with the surrounding surface)?
If so slot the piece with a dremel cut off wheel, and use a screwdriver to unscrew it.

Back