Repack with Grease or Gear Oil

pwr2wh8

Local time
10:59 PM
I have yet to provide any maintenance to my gearbox. I believe the gearbox I have is packed with grease. Obviously, it would be assumed to repack with grease. However, assuming a gasket is present or can be fabricated, are there any advantages to using gear oil? If not, what is a good grease to use?

I use pocket bike 5:1 trannies. Some have drain plugs, some don't.

I use general purpose grease in all of them. I have not had a transmission failure.

That's just my experience.

thanks for the tips.

it most likely has grease, i'll stick with grease. i'd like to open the case and at least replace with better grease. i've seen some cases where very little grease is used and or it has accumulated at the bottom of the case.

i believe i have the "teardrop" hoot transmission with dual chains. i'm aware it's not the preferred transmission, but it's been working just fine for over year with about 300+ miles. when it does fail, i'm looking to replace with a qmatic.

anyhow, when you say bone dry, do you mean no grease? if that's the case, i'd definitely like to service mine. it can't hurt to replace the factory grease...right?

When I split one of my tranny's case, there was evidence @ the bottom of the tranny of lubricant, unsure if grease or oil.
It was a VERY thin layer, completely dry, less than a few grams if you could scrape it up.
If you use a pocketbike tranny, ALWAYS split the case and pack in the grease. It's very easy to do.
You'll be surprised how tiny and delicate the internal gears are.

Back