Repainting Kit parts

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by ClassicRock354, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ClassicRock354

ClassicRock354 New Member

I just received my Grubee Skyhawk 48cc kit in the mail, and I like it for the most part. However, there is some visible scratches and scuffs on the gas tank and the exhaust pipe/muffler. I was planning on repainting over the black paint anyway, but this kind of forces my hand. I have never painted anything like this before, and I was hoping I could turn to you guys for help. I want to paint them in a matte black, and I would like to avoid chemical paint removers.

So, if someone could give me the run-down on how to strip the paint, and repaint them, I would really appreciate it. Also, I would appreciate a recommendation on what kind of paint to use. Thanks guys!

2. beentryin

beentryin Member

scuff it all with scotch pads and clean with brake cleaner before painting
  3. WhizBangAndy

WhizBangAndy Member

If you dont want to use brake cleaner use Prep-Sol or an equivalent degreaser. I dont think you are going to get away from chemicals on this one if you want the paint to stick for any amount of time..Good Luck on the project!
  4. WhizBangAndy

WhizBangAndy Member

Eastwood makes a great matte black that is intended for older brass radiators. It lets heat through better than paint and is pretty durable. I used it on the engine casing and it worked well..
  5. skrufryder

skrufryder Member

for paint i like to use the high heat bbq paint or becuse it comes in a nice flat black or any engine paint at the auto parts store works good...scotch brite and rubbing alchohol is mt choice
  6. V 35

V 35 Member

One option on exhaust parts is Galaxy Stove polish, not a paint, more of an ink,
    used to blacken wood stoves. Trick to painting metal is ... Get it clean ! Nothing
    sticks to oily metal. If your reluctant to use chemical cleaners, use soap and water, allow to dry throughly [ overnight or overday ] As far as metal parts [ non exhaust ]
    scuff up, clean, and use Etching Primer [ Auto Parts Store ] Let primer cure a few days before painting.