Exhaust Replacement Exhaust Gasket Suggestions??

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by mcassMB6, Jun 29, 2008.

1. mcassMB6

mcassMB6 Member

Hey folks- I'd like to replace my exhaust gasket. What is my easiest and most cost effective solution?

2. JohnnyLoves

JohnnyLoves Member

Hey MCass,

I had to replace mine a couple of days ago, the cheapest way around here is to pick up a sheet of "gasket material". The cheapest place around where we live is B&B Performance Auto Parts on Branford Hill. It costs about 10 bucks; I'm not sure if theres a cheaper way, but this is the cheapest I found.

John

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Since those are simple gaskets I wonder if a couple layers of aluminum foil would do the trick, cutting them with an exacto knife would be easy. Along with the original gasket.

4. mountain80

mountain80 Member

i bought a piece of 1/16 copper for 4 dollars and drilled and dremeled it. Was a an hour of work but the benefit is it can be annealed and reused indefinitely and will not leak like my stock one fwiw.

5. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I took 3 sheets of aliminum siding and clamped them in between two pieces of wood. Drilled a 3/4" (about) hole through them. Then cut out the rest of the shape with snips, drilled the mounting holes, applied a small bead of exhaust system sealer to both sides and mounted. Seems to work great.

Of course, I really should have just bought some gasket material. But this will get me by until I get around to it.

6. akillerbluesky

akillerbluesky New Member

i recently purchased some gasket material and made a new replacement. the only thing was after riding the gasket blew out. i had to peddle 5 mi home. i did however purchase, that night, a gasket that fits a 70149 fit's ford, Mazda, Mercury, Lincoln, and Jaguar. i have added a pic of the gasket. it only cost about 5$.

Attached Files:

7. great !!
    looks like A EGR gasket.

cheers

BlueCollar-Bob

8. I have heard that the EGR valve gaskets work good, you might need to do some trimming......

9. Molotov256

Molotov256 Member

I replaced mine with an EGR valve gasket.. I believe it was for a mid-90's honda accord. It works great!

10. keylan

keylan Member

i just picked up a few from zone8cycles(.com?) check spelling with google they are $3 free shipping, not super cheap for the small part but a hassle free way of replacing one

11. BSA

BSA Guest

Yesterday i tryed out a new gasket. I used my old gasket as a template to cut out new gaskets from ordinary gasket paper. I used about 4 sheets. it works very well so far.

BSA

12. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

In June, 2008 I posted in this thread about making an exhaust gasket out of aluminum siding.

An update; that same gasket is still on my bike and working just fine. There's just a little bit of soot build up on my cylinder. but I'll bet that would be there no matter what gasket was installed. It's only very minor.

13. 247Jude

247Jude Member

As a stop gap measure I used moose hide sisors and a set of hole punches and a ball pine hammer to get the shape.