Restored 1959 J.C Higgins Bike.

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by lucas, Jun 7, 2010.

1. lucas

lucas Member

Tell me what you think. i left the orginal paint just clear coated it. rust busted all the chrome. original rims respoked to original coaster brake. i added a link to the chain so back axel sits perfect in slot used a spare kit tensioneer to pick up the slack. just finished breaking it in. feels like riding a cadillac.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010

2. Looks GREAT! I love it when we bring knew life to old bicycles and add motors to em and make em something special...Nice build just make sure the fender mounts are in good shape or youll be seeing a different side to your bike,the bottom side.

3. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Beautiful..thats a real bike brought back to life and now has a motor too. Those were quality chrome plated good steel rims and now with new spokes,,it dosent get much better ..but do secure those fine fenders or they might hurt you... A lot of the older guys down here in Fla. know how good these older bikes are so they are pretty hard to find.

4. lucas

lucas Member

Thanks. and yes fender to frame mounts i jb welded. took about three days to get the rust of those fenders. wasn"t heavy just pitted. i replaced all the drilled in screw at body mount threaded then jb welded all the frame points. the way it was designed every thing was connected to the rear fender i used a bit of clear silicone on some contact points buzzed like i giant bumble bee the first time i started the motor. not a rattle any where now. smoothest mb ive ever built.

heres a link to album

http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=1067

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Bee-yoo-tee-ful! That is one great looking bike!

6. lucas

lucas Member

Thanks, was my first restoration job. all my builds have been on Mountain road frames. here's my next project a 1941 huffman balloon bike.

[​IMG]

7. Whizzerd

Whizzerd Member

Restored to Original. I love it! The Huffman has some very cool design features. Good Luck with that one Lucas.

8. Turtle Tedd

Turtle Tedd Member

Man that Huffman is a nice classic..will be on the lookout for pictures here