Reupholster Whizzer Seat

Traveler

Local time
7:51 PM
Does anyone have any good tips on reupholstering a vintage Mesinger bicycle seat? My Whizzer project has one. It's in OK shape, except for the leather. I have taken the seat apart and cleaned the springs and frame. I would like to reupholster the seat.

Hi Traveler,

Beyond my ability, and I have the "Saddle Shop" in FL do most of my vintage seats. It cost me over $300 to have the seat on my 1950 Whizzer Pacemaker restored [very large seat with Whizzer embossed in the leather]. On several of my vintage Whizzers I was able to purchase seats already re-done on Ebay and normally paid less than $80.00 for each.

Have fun,

Thanks Quenton,

I may still attempt it. I taught myself how to cane weave on a Kennedy Rocking Chair project, and that was pretty difficult. I might be able to learn how to restore the seat. Time will tell. If not, I can still get the Saddle Shop to do it.

I know of a real guru for restoring vintage bicycle saddles, his name is Bob Ujszaszi. I believe he's from Torrance, California. He's on The Cabe (The Classic & Antique Bicycle Exchange) as "Bobcycles". I've seen photos of his work, and it is outstanding.

Back