Review Of The Ez Matic Drive

Discussion in 'Dealer Reviews' started by Mike St, May 12, 2011.

1. Mike St

Mike St Member

Over the winter I installed a single speed EZ or Q matic drive for my HS 142 engine and kit that I purchased from Grubee. Today, I got the first chance to test the drive, and unfortunately I was dissapointed. I was hoping for a good start from a stand still, but the engine wound up but the bike move very slow from a standing start, definitely not enough for me to ride on the streets in traffic.
    I believe the test proved a single speed is not enough. I know they were working on a two speed which would probably work. MS

Last edited: May 12, 2011

2. zean

zean New Member

Hi. If the clutch or pulleys or belt or anything else is not slipping, I'm replying by hearsay not my own experience. I own a few EZM kits not yet installed. I believe I heard that you have to get rolling @ 15mph then the engine becomes more responsive. Maybe try a larger sprocket on a 24'' rear wheel. Then don't over-rev the engine. Thankyou.

3. Mike St

Mike St Member

Yeah I have a 56 tooth sprocket on it now, and I could go to a larger one, maybe 60 inches or a smaller rear wheel as you suggest, but these changes cost bucks. I did discover like you say, that at about 10-15 mph, the power increases, but the need is for power from a standing-start. I really don't care about top end speed, my desire is not to ride over 25 mph on these. I appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks

4. Mike St

Mike St Member

I am going to remove the cover today and check the belt, because I smell burning rubber and think it might be the belt slipping. I was very surprised with such low end power on a drive that's been so highly touted. I keep seeing motorized two strokes in my neighborhood going by very fast with no problem. Maybe the two stroke with a SBP jackshaft is the best solution. I don't know.

5. Mike St

Mike St Member

6. Mike St

Mike St Member

OK, I took off the cover and shockingly found my belt was not on the tension wheel, so there was no tension on the belt. I don't know how this happened since I am very careful when assembling the drive onto the motor. After putting the belt on the tension wheel, I retested and the bike moved normally without the motor winding out, but the power at low speed, 0-10mph is still too low, with my 56 tooth sprocket. I see others
    have gone to a 64 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel, and even one 72 tooth sprocket, who claims 30mph top end. I'll probably go to a 64 tooth sprocket, and if I am still dissatisfied, I'll try a SBP 4 stroke shifter.

7. That's the way Q-matics are. The clutch does a lot of slipping until it locks up. If you want to accelerate better, then you have to pedal. If you're already pedaling, then pedal harder. If you don't want to pedal, get a motorcycle.

8. Mike St

Mike St Member

No I don't want to pedal, that's why I bought the Q-matic. What do you think of the G4T from Grubee? I'd like to knowwhat is the best solution for the HS-142 engine. The Q-matic with a 56 tooth rear sprocket is definitely underpowered at the low end.

9. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

I have a 62 tooth sprocket. It does well for me and I'm a big guy. You have to remember that it is a one speed drive so you have to find a happy medium between power and speed. If you want a lot of speed you will not have good acceleration. If you want acceleration then you will not have a very high top speed. Also remember it is a 49cc engine not a 1000cc V-twin so your not going to get neck snapping acceleration. To get that you want you need a shift kit or a motorcycle. I hope you find what your looking for.

Jim

10. Mike St

Mike St Member

Where did you get your 62T sprocket. I'm thinking of a 64T sprocket combined with a tuned muffler.

11. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

Hi Mike
    I got the 62 tooth sprocket and wheel adapter from Jim at Creative Engineering. If you are using the stock exhaust, that is taking away from the engine power too. I'm using the flex pipe exhaust and I'm very happy with the sound and the power increase. I also modified an old Whizzer WC-1 air cleaner to fit and I'm sure that has helped too. My engine is the HF79cc not the HS49cc but the results have been similar according to others that have done these mods. The first pic is the air filter, the second is the flex pipe exhaust. I hope this info helps you as it did me. These little engines need all the help we can give them. We are asking them to do more than they were ever designed to do.

Jim

Attached Files:

12. Mike St

Mike St Member

Thanks RD, great bike. I have ordered a larger sprocket from BlowbyU and I will try the flex exhaust. I hear the flex increases performance by 18%. 10% would be good. Who supplied the flex pipe and the cost? Thanks

13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

The flex pipe is available from Quenton Guenther, and he has it available in both non-stainless and stainless steel. I have the non-stainless on mine, and it does pick up a patina with use. I'm not sure of the current cost, but PM Quenton and he'll be able to give you the price.
    I have a 64-tooth sprocket on my bike, which does have the 49cc HS142 engine. I find the accelleration to be quite acceptable with that combination, and I'm not a lightweight rider at 300lbs. Recently a friend (260lbs) was riding my bike and I was trying to keep up with him on my Whizzer (which is 138cc and approx 4hp with the modifications made to it). He walked me going uphill.
    I like to cruise around 25mph on my bikes, but another friend rode my Q-Matic equipped bike and had it up to 40mph (as indicated on the speedometer that isn't GPS, so I don't know how accurate it is). I've had it up to 35mph with the 64-tooth sprocket, but 40mph is close to red-line on the engine.

Attached Files:

14. You can probably get the flexpipe from an EZM dealer, or use flexible natural gas or water heater line from your local hardware store. Napa also sells some flex pipe. Don't use flexible conduit, it leaks. If you have an appliance repair shop near you, you may be able to get something that works for pretty cheap. You will need to make a header flange, too. An old 2-stroke exhaust works perfect for that, as it's bolt pattern is the same as the Honda/HS. Just cut it about 2" from the flange, slip the flexpipe over it, and use hoseclamps or an old seatpost clamp to secure it.

My brother has a Honda and Q-matic, with a flexpipe, definitely increased power and sounds great. He can hit 40MPH with his 56T. I also have a flexpipe. We both use a $5 (@ Lowe's) Briggs muffler on our setups.

15. Mike St

Mike St Member

Wow! I did order a 72T sprocket. I have no interest in going over 30pmh, maybe 25 would be my top for cruising. As soon as I get the sprocket, I'll install it and report the results, and I'll also test the flex pipe. Thanks for all the help. I will have to upload another video of my chopper, which is also equipped with a complete 12 volt electrical system. Here's my bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laGa_wgYxqY FYI I disconnected the generator to test how much power loss I was getting from the generator and it was barely noticeable. Mike

16. azbill

azbill Active Member

with a 72t, I can pull 300+ lbs of trailer and grandkids from a dead stop without pedalling :)

30mph is close to redline , but she will do 25-27 all day long without problem

any centrifugal clutch will slip until it is spinning fast enough for full engagement

17. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

diy flex pipe

Like mentioned above there are cheaper ways to make a flex pipe .But if money is not a problem get the stainless.Here is the one I did using liquid tight conduit and the briggs cigar muffler.Cost me under $5.My neighbor is an electrician so flex was free.

Attached Files:

18. Mike St

Mike St Member

Got my new 72T sprocket today and it is very well made, totally straight, excellent work.
    I ordered from BlowbyU, and it was shipped from King Sales. Great work guys. I still remember how badly the Grubee sprocket was with crooked teeth that I had to spend hours on filing to make it work. And the Grubee chain was also junk, so I threw it out and ordered a 415 from McMaster Carr. Will report when I have the new sprocket mounted.

19. Mike St

Mike St Member

Installed my new 72T sprocket today on the rear wheel. It fit like a glove and was perfectly straight. Spun the sprocket on the wheel and it was as straight as a arrow. Big difference from Grubee sprockets with crooked teeth. I had to file the Grubee sprocket and then shim it to get it to work. What a pleasure to have excellent workmanship!

20. RdKryton

RdKryton Active Member

The sprocket and adapter I got from Jim at Creative Engineering is great too. You just can't beat good old made in USA quality when it is done by someone that cares about his or her customers.
    Oh and when are the pictures coming? We need pictures! lol
    It's sounds like you are having a ball. It sure is nice to work with quality parts.

Jim

Last edited: May 29, 2011