Review Of The Ez Matic Drive

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 4613

Over the winter I installed a single speed EZ or Q matic drive for my HS 142 engine and kit that I purchased from Grubee. Today, I got the first chance to test the drive, and unfortunately I was dissapointed. I was hoping for a good start from a stand still, but the engine wound up but the bike move very slow from a standing start, definitely not enough for me to ride on the streets in traffic.
I believe the test proved a single speed is not enough. I know they were working on a two speed which would probably work. MS

Last edited:
Hi. If the clutch or pulleys or belt or anything else is not slipping, I'm replying by hearsay not my own experience. I own a few EZM kits not yet installed. I believe I heard that you have to get rolling @ 15mph then the engine becomes more responsive. Maybe try a larger sprocket on a 24'' rear wheel. Then don't over-rev the engine. Thankyou.

Yeah I have a 56 tooth sprocket on it now, and I could go to a larger one, maybe 60 inches or a smaller rear wheel as you suggest, but these changes cost bucks. I did discover like you say, that at about 10-15 mph, the power increases, but the need is for power from a standing-start. I really don't care about top end speed, my desire is not to ride over 25 mph on these. I appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks

I am going to remove the cover today and check the belt, because I smell burning rubber and think it might be the belt slipping. I was very surprised with such low end power on a drive that's been so highly touted. I keep seeing motorized two strokes in my neighborhood going by very fast with no problem. Maybe the two stroke with a SBP jackshaft is the best solution. I don't know.

OK, I took off the cover and shockingly found my belt was not on the tension wheel, so there was no tension on the belt. I don't know how this happened since I am very careful when assembling the drive onto the motor. After putting the belt on the tension wheel, I retested and the bike moved normally without the motor winding out, but the power at low speed, 0-10mph is still too low, with my 56 tooth sprocket. I see others
have gone to a 64 tooth sprocket on the rear wheel, and even one 72 tooth sprocket, who claims 30mph top end. I'll probably go to a 64 tooth sprocket, and if I am still dissatisfied, I'll try a SBP 4 stroke shifter.

That's the way Q-matics are. The clutch does a lot of slipping until it locks up. If you want to accelerate better, then you have to pedal. If you're already pedaling, then pedal harder. If you don't want to pedal, get a motorcycle.

No I don't want to pedal, that's why I bought the Q-matic. What do you think of the G4T from Grubee? I'd like to knowwhat is the best solution for the HS-142 engine. The Q-matic with a 56 tooth rear sprocket is definitely underpowered at the low end.

I have a 62 tooth sprocket. It does well for me and I'm a big guy. You have to remember that it is a one speed drive so you have to find a happy medium between power and speed. If you want a lot of speed you will not have good acceleration. If you want acceleration then you will not have a very high top speed. Also remember it is a 49cc engine not a 1000cc V-twin so your not going to get neck snapping acceleration. To get that you want you need a shift kit or a motorcycle. I hope you find what your looking for.

Jim

Where did you get your 62T sprocket. I'm thinking of a 64T sprocket combined with a tuned muffler.

Back