Rhodes 4 wheeler, w/ Staton chain drive

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by bamabikeguy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

First new/different project for 2010 will be motorizing a 4 wheeled, 2 seated Rhoadescar.

They are built in Tennessee, and if my experience peddling alongside Ray in the passenger seat, less than a half mile, there are probably HUNDREDS sitting un-used, especially in the beachy areas of the US. Peddling sux.

Joe, the customer, drove to the plant to pick it up, $2500 for the unit, estimating $850 to motorize, hoping for 15 mph and 150 mpg.

When Alabama wins next week, Joe will be painting the blue frame crimson, decaling it with every Roll Tide item he can find.

He and Mrs. Joe hope to be riding in parades for years to come, and the paint scheme will give him immunity from legal problems in his hometown.

2. bamabikeguy

One thing Ray and I agreed on is it was far more stable than trikes, took up about the same amount of road shoulder.

The gear control levers for both riders are on the steering post, we were both pooped out and cold yesterday morning, I didn't spend enough time switching gears on that initial run.

By myself, after everybody left, I didn't have the gumption to go 1/4 mile to the church parking lot.

Motorizing them is the only way to make them useful, I think a quiet engine could even be camoflaged, by a basket or cover. Electric conversion is offered by Rhoades, but they have that 10-20 mile limitation.

Making a U-turn in the country road was a shoulder to shoulder operation, so pick a flat spot to attempt it.

3. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

You do see a few of those non-motorized bikes/cars in retirement communities here in Florida. Flat land, & NO HILLS !

4. bamabikeguy

Hey E,

You might want to look for Craiglist bargains if we pull this off......

From that 4 wheeler link you put in the other thread:

http://www.bhsi.org/fourwhel.htm

90 pounds doesn't sound right, but even at 70, plus the weight of the driver, you would have to be in GREAT shape to move this wheeled boat over 5 miles from the house.

But, if you get some good basketry, trips to the store might be doable.

5. bamabikeguy

Curiosity, googling "Craigslist Rhoades Car" brings up to a $1000 in savings....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ed=0CCUQBSgA&q=craigslist+rhoades+car&spell=1

I just took it uphill (5% grade) and back...tight turning will have to take some practice, too fast an the far wheel skips a bit.

The thing is BUILT for newspaper delivery service, thats for sure !!

Re-looking at the future engine "well" in relation to the axle, it won't have to be very deep. One easy idea is buying some of that "erector set" type metal, painting it crimson.....

But I won't start until the kit gets a confirmed ship date.

6. scootdaddy

scootdaddy New Member

I have a friend that lives in South Carolina that has one for sale his e-mail is
    joeymusic@hotmail.com if you are interested .I don't remember what he wants for it but it is alot cheaper than a new one

Keith

7. scootdaddy

scootdaddy New Member

here is a copy of his Craigslist ad

Keith

Rhoades Car 4-Wheeler Quadcycle - $995 (Chappells, SC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2009-12-22, 11:13AM EST
    Reply to: sale-puk9p-1521099615@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhoades Car. 36 Speed. Mag wheels, computer, heavy-duty bearings, large waterproof cargo box with tray, disc brakes, deluxe seat with armrests, thorn-proof tubes & kevlar liners, more. Loaded with nearly every option available! Mint condition, only ridden 89 miles, & garage-stored. No longer has canopy top in picture, but can be ordered from Rhoades Car, & easily installed with just a few screws, if so desired. Paid over $3,000 three years ago! Would consider using this as partial payment on Toyota or Nissan truck. Call to see additional online pics. 864-998-3333

-it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1521099615

Copyright © 2009 craigslist, inc.terms of useprivacy policyfeedback forum

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  8. bamabikeguy

Good dealio scoot,

That means somebody could scoot around for maybe $1,900, carrying two people. Take it off your taxes as rehabilitation gear, medical expense......

Whats a new ATV run nowadays??

Except these are legal on the roads, just put a SloMovVeh orange sign on back.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

10. bamabikeguy

Got $2,000 to spare?

If you can find these used bargains, and motorizing cost est: $900, the 2 seater (4W2P) appears to be the easiest to motorize, imho.

For use in small towns w/ low traffic, if it carries 2 people, that's $1,000 per rider, less than one of my GEBEs on a new Sun/Trek cruiser.

& My blue recumbent cost upwards of $1,800, Worksman PAV's (new) with engine are about the same.......

The 4W4P would #2 on my easy scale, simply remove the rear seats. (because it may have 4 seats, but only 2 cranks, your buddies in back are dead weight).

The more we look into this, checking the showroom http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpshow.htm the more ideas come to mind.

For Esteban's 4W1P to work, you have to add wielding $$$secure more frame to the back, to provide the "well" to hold the engine.

Per the specs, http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpspec.htm the 4W1P, weighs 75 pounds

and the Frame area behind seats to accomodate cargo carrier is :19"w x 15"d

(boy, was I wrong on the weight estimation, but most of the diff is the frame behind the seat...)

While the one on the carport: 4W2PCP 115 lbs.
    Frame area behind seats
    43"w x 24"d

So, looking at this 4W1P pic, like Esteban's bargain,: http://www.rhoadescar.com/jumpshow.htm, there is no rectangular frame well.

Maybe you could dangle the engine off the back bumper, and the Staton sprocket would be have to be uncentered on the axle.....

Anyway, as we look for online bargains, the 4W2P is #1 on the "least conversion costs", and has the "most potential", imho.......

A friend is a boat fiberglasser, he could build a streamlined shell (An Oscar Mayer vienna sausage???) for parade exhibition, or a football for Rose bowling.

11. bamabikeguy

We had a bachelor party last June in that saloon section of Austin, and there were all these 1P pedicabs, pedaling drunks to wherever, a difficult job, fersure.

If you had a 4W4P motorized, you could corral them 3 at a time, make more $$$ than the pizza people.

Plus you could probably outrun every police horse in that Austin 6th Ave. Calvary.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  12. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I think I will let the younger folkss have the pedal cabs, & Rhoades car.

13. bamabikeguy

Certified MB innovators should be able to ask $500 from a Rhoades owner to motorize. This lowest in quadped had regular inner tubes, the Kevlar is an $80 addon option.

How does that universal Craigslist work, type in "Rhoades"??

Because, they look to be a slow moving item, and the ad-runners could be contacted, offered this link to think about MBing.....

The more they are on the road, the more attention our MB's make.

14. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Search all Crailgslists ;
    http://www.searchallcraigs.com/index.php

Yes, just type in what you are looking for, then results will show. Look at the top of the results & you see geograhic areas . Click on your area. I ahve noticed that the website has a few " glitches ," such as returning to the previous page, but it won't take much to figure it out.

15. *digital-guy*

*digital-guy* New Member

Rhoades and Nuvinci

I've got the Rhodes 4w2p. Bought a Honda 50 from Dave Staton with the chain kit. Had it for a year now and still sitting on the shelf. I thought it would be quick and simple but my dreams overshadowed my time. I keep thinking about moving forward, but wondering if I should look at using the Nuvinci with that motor. Since I will need to do some fabricating for the mount already, why not. The bike is heavy and I'm wondering if the Nuvinci CVT would take out all of the trial and error of proper gearing for torque and speed. I imagine several of you have more knowledge than I do about this possible setup. Thanks for any suggestions, Tony

16. PatrickW

PatrickW Staff Member

Interesting & Maybe Helpful (I hope?!)

Bama...Her's a video or two I stumbled over while surfing. I thought you might be sorta interested in them. Seems he got his plans from http://www.atomiczombie.com/ and used a 40cc GEBE setup on a Street Fighter Quad Cycle. I thought the one that shows the details of the build was particularly interesting. I had trouble buffering them properly until I cut my color depth down to 16 bit instead of 32 bit. Also, his construction ability appears to be a heck of a lot better than his driving ability.<grin>

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thedakidd1#p/a/u/0/zUaMJdrw_5c

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thedakidd1#p/a/u/2/BgJeJLVwWtY

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thedakidd1#p/a/u/1/iaav7Y0U9Io

17. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

That's impressive. I wonder what the legal ramifications would be on a Rhoades. It has 4 wheels, so it isn't a bike. Does putting the SMV triangle on it qualify it? My mother has polio, so several years ago I gave her a golf cart with a SMV triangle so she could get around town and give her the feeling of independence. Of course I was related to the chief of police, and it is a small town...... :grin5:

The twin belt drive is unusual. Is that a GEBE product? Gee, if I had two hubmotors for differential action, :idea: and four wheels to handle the battery weight.... and a light weight enclosure for weather protection.....I gotta quit it.(slaps face) :jester:

18. bamabikeguy

Quick update, I have to wait, Staton is holding my $750 check for 3 days, so much for MB.reputations.

Using a 22 tooth sprocket on the back axle, slow but ultra-torqued.

The gas tank on the 50cc Honda is up top, so that problem is avoided.

My SEC bowl gaming netted enough to get a Fiji camera at the pawn shop. Not much zooming capability, but we will have pix:

[​IMG]

Alabama beating the point spread and the game going over 44 pts also cleared enough to pay for the heavy duty tubes, mirror and pennant.

I went by Lowes, to check out metal options, to frame the "well" to hold the engine. I didn't buy anything because I'm not spending $30 if it doesn't work. I may even use hard wood, painted blue, to hold the engine, on the bottom of that "well".

WARNING: on wheel removal. I have it up on my work stand, and when I pulled off the driver's wheel, it detached from the bearings (rust). I slid the wheel back over the bearings, then tapped the back of the bearing casing, with my rubber mallet, so the wheel and bearings came off in 1 unit.

While I had my oil spray out, I hit all the rust points and both chains.

I also placed an ad in the Consumer Bulletin, invited the public for a demo ride.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  19. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Good luck with the project !!

20. bamabikeguy

Well, we have SHIPPING!! My 36 pound package sits in an Oklahoma FedEx office as of last night....and HEY, FedEx delivers on Saturday, so we may have movement this weekend !