Riding in the rain

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tauseef, May 22, 2016.

1. Tauseef

Tauseef Member

So i have gone through the forum searching how people ride in the rain.
    ..tyres should not slip
    ..speed be moderate
    ..prefer disc brakes inrain
    ..cover the engine kill switch from water

What else as a tip to ride in rain ?

2. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

Same rules for riding in rain on a motorbike apply to riding a bicycle:

Keep speed down and allow for extra stopping distance;

Keep the bike as upright as possible during turns;

Properly attached and secured fenders help a lot!

Lights front and back.

Tauseef likes this.
  3. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

drop two gears in every corner and plant it, feel the rear end spin for two hundred metres :D

decent wet weather pants, and gumboots. if its really heavy, and rains a lot...get a set of waders and keep the extremities of ones body DRY.

there have been tests made on bike tyres...you have to do about 270 before you can get a standard 700c tyre to "hydroplane".

therefore, slicks or near close to slick is better.... but rubber compounds make a difference on actual friction... and friction is what keeps you up.

dont use cheap "plasticy" tyres...

Tauseef likes this.
  4. skyash

skyash Active Member

Don't get warter in your magnito cover or the magnito is dead. motor bike helmet and wet weather gear costs a bit but if it's good enough for a real motorbike it better for you and fenders stops the spray in your face and ass. never had a kill switch go bad there's a big gap in the connection so it would take a lot of water to short it I think.

Tauseef likes this.
  5. My concern has always been about water getting into the carburetor, would it be a good idea to cover or make some sort of shroud for a carburetor air filter to keep the water out?
    If you're not using one of those plastic card covers I have using more of it all around air intake Carb filter.

6. And as far as the Magneto where the wire goes in have used a very good silicone Cover the hole where the wires go into the Magneto on the engine block where there's that little rubber grommet that the wires go into I seal it with silicone and made a nice drive around it

Tauseef likes this.
  7. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Water will just burn out the exhaust in the form of water vapor

Tauseef likes this.
  8. skyash

skyash Active Member

Never got warter in the carby the bike frame stops that spray on it and warter can get past the covers thay don't sit flat

Tauseef likes this.
  9. OK, riddle me this. I had an offset carburetor intake. Until I lost the air filter By the time I realized and turned around it had been crushed by a car I mean crushed! Now I went back to standard Carb with flat plastic air filter. Everytime I come to stop or slowdown & pull in my clutch, VVRRRROOOOOOOOMMM!!!!!!! it wants to redline praticly. I even swapped out carburetors. Yahoo think my plug is too hot or??? Pin adjustment needed. Its on the center notch. From Chicago.

10. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Your idle is too high or your running too lean

11. skyash

skyash Active Member

Air leak?

12. butre

butre Well-Known Member

if it's raining I put a foam prefilter over my carb. if it's dry just a screen to keep the big stuff out

Tauseef likes this.
  13. Tauseef

Tauseef Member

Running lean means what ?

14. Air leak! At intake

Tauseef likes this.
  15. skyash

skyash Active Member

Running lean means to much air to fuel

Tauseef likes this.
  16. 45u

45u Active Member

I ride my motorcycle in the rain all the time and have always in the 45 years of none stop riding. If they cannot swim they are not much good. I have a GOOD Gor-tex rain suit. Weather has never stop me. I sure would make sure you have full fenders and if you have too brace or weld them where they will hold up. Yes I was young once and if you had a front fender you where not cool. To hell with being cool I rather be controllable and safe. I have all so ridden throw 3 hail storms and two tornations. But when you are 2 to 4k miles away from home you have no choice.

Tauseef likes this.
  17. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

I am not a good one to ask:
    [​IMG]

That is me entering the water, trying to ride the hump. My front tires are 21" and the water is deeper.
    Note the water up to the other quad's headlights.
    [​IMG]

A little fire and few smoked trout can make it all worth while:
    [​IMG]

Getting serious now, everyone's advice was pretty good except Headsmess.
    Usually very reliable, he has obviously been drinking. It is the Queen's Birthday you know?
    Well, not really but we celebrate it anyway.

Steve

18. HeadSmess

wattya mean? whats wrong with wheel spins in the wet? its the ONLY way to ride!

i stand by the need for decent waterproof pants and footwear. nothing worse than wet underpants. and no matter how expensive they are, not many moto pants keep the water out! not when the rain resembles an ocean with slots cut in it... only once have i ever pulled over and waited due to rain.

though there have been times i gave up, and started riding through puddles and drains etc with my feet down, just to see how wet i could get... its okay when your heading home, to dry clothes and a shower... sucks when your heading to work.

god save the queen!

[​IMG]

19. HeadSmess

oh. maybe it was the reference to using slicks...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/slicks.html
    http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...o-ride-a-racing-road-bike-in-very-wet-weather

the second one raises a VERY GOOD POINT!

steer clear of painted lines and metal objects, they will always bring you unstuck.

so will timber, yep, theres at least three timber bridges in my area.

i have hydroplaned on a moto before, and my gawd, is it scary! teach me to let my front tyre to get down to 4psi before checking it!

so, also have your tyres well inflated.

libranskeptic likes this.
  20. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

See? Now that the party is over, he makes perfect sense!

Steve