Riding "slightly" above the law ?

Bill P

Local time
9:43 AM
Most states have a statute regarding displacement and such, like in Az max displacement is 48cc for no license required.The kit I am looking at is 49.3 cc, do people worry about these things?? I have road a MB for about a year and have never been stopped or questioned just womder how others feel about this...Thanks.

Hi Bill, I have been on here a long time and I never heard of someone being stopped and the officer inspects the engine.

Now, I am in NY where anything with a motor gets a plate on the back, so I have no experience with your question.
If you ride safe/ look safe (helmet, safety vest, glasses) / not flying around flagrantly, why would you ever get stopped?

If you are not sure about the little bit over the cc limit- remove any sticker that says what it is.

Prof , I pretty much feel the same way.I want the larger engine for hills not top spead, I'll go with a 1" roller.I was actually trying to determine if the Honda gx35 recoil cover is interchangable with the gxh50, lol.Out here (Az) they ride golf carts, sand rails and quads on the street legally so it's different than back east.I was born in Mineola, N.Y. Lived on L.I. 32 years...Thanks

Many of my buds went to SUNY Buffalo, spent a lot of time there.

Most states have a statute regarding displacement and such, like in Az max displacement is 48cc for no license required.The kit I am looking at is 49.3 cc, do people worry about these things?? I have road a MB for about a year and have never been stopped or questioned just wonder how others feel about this...Thanks.
Hi Bill,
I've built around 150 motorized bikes for local customers since 2009 here in Phoenix, maybe 30 were 48cc, all the rest had larger engines or equivalent electric power.

I have been trying since 2010 to get our dysfunctional state congress to take up the issue and expand the engine and speed range, you can sign the petition here.
http://kcsbikes.com/AZRS28-2516.htm

The bottom line is the metro police around here don't care whats under the hood, only how you ride it.

Ride safe and smart is what I tell all my customers and none to my knowledge so far has ever been in a wreck or hassled by the law.

A lil off topic tho its legal in FLA to ride,QUESTION is there a big difference in power on a 66cc over a 49cc?

A lil off topic tho its legal in FLA to ride,QUESTION is there a big difference in power on a 66cc over a 49cc?
3/4 horsepower, 48's are about 2HP, 66's about 2.75HP, both can get about 1/2 horse boost with a good expansion chamber exhaust.

Seems like the limit was 49cc when I lived in AZ. There is no indication of displacement visible anywhere on those China girl engines.

Seems like the limit was 49cc when I lived in AZ. There is no indication of displacement visible anywhere on those China girl engines.
Nope, been 48cc since 2006 when they made legal via this resolution.
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/02516.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Skyhawk engines, which had EPA approval for a few years had the info on the sticker and on a metal plate riveted to to the left side clutch cover.

The 48cc cover plates were coveted ;-}

Yep, its 48cc in Az, consensus is cops dont care, unless your showing blatant disregard, which is good for us.

I can't decide between a staton crankshaft kit (Honda gx35) or a frictiondrive (Honda gxh50), I am thinking the 35 could outperform the 50 with the gearing ? Same price, pretty expensive!! Lol!

Back