riding the Titan XC50S across america

biker2013

Local time
5:40 AM
So this summer I plan on riding the Titan xc50s from Dax across the country. In all honesty, what are the chances of having a catastrophic failure?
I will only be averaging like 10-15mph because I'm going with friends who are riding unassisted. I'm going to college next year and plan on running cross country so I want to run in the mornings and don't want to screw up my legs.

1. Can I make it?
2. What spare parts should I bring?
3. How often should I rest the motor?
4. General Maintenance?

biker2013,

Read this and your other post. I am also contemplating riding the Northern tier in a couple years. My plan is similar to yours, but I plan to pedal assist at 15 mph and have the engine speed along at 15 mph for a average of 30 mph.

I think the Titan xc50s is a good engine and capable of completing the trip. It is the same engine as the Huasheng 142f.

I think you are asking too general of a question and need you to be more specific. Why such a large engine for 10 to 15 mph and not the smaller xc35? or the Huasheng 37cc from Live Fast Motors (I wouldn't buy the kits)? What type of mounting system are you going to use? What transmission are you going to use? How much is your budget for your motorized bike? What type of bicycle are you going use? Do you plan on traveling cheap (camping) or credit card (Hotel)? How many miles do you plan per day. What size fuel tank? Are you pulling a trailer?

Basically, there are 4 type of setups: 1. Friction drive - Dax, Staton and DIY 2. In-the-frame - Grubee 4G (With Oil-lite bushing bearing mod) and EZM q-matic and DIY. 3. Gearbox drive from Staton. 4. Axle drive from Staton. I don't like his particular mount and would recommend a different setup. I would weld a mount to the seat stays and chain stays. Other kits are available, but for a touring trip, I wouldn't recommend.

1. Can I make it? Sure you can
2. What spare parts should I bring? Spark plug, starter rope and maybe a spare carburetor?
3. How often should I rest the motor? I think your going at a slow pace, it shouldn't harm the engine. After break-in switch to a premium synthetic oil.
4. General Maintenance? Clean air filter. Adjust the valves and check the spark plug? Definitely oil changes for a 4 stroke engine. A 2 stroke would eliminate oil changes, but require 2 stroke oil mix every time you filled up.

As a suggestion, look at some of the other traveler post on this forum and http://motorbicycling.com to see what others have done.

I think with a smaller engine, you'd do O.K. since you only want to go 10 - 15 mph. Set your cadence and have the engine do the rest. A right handed friction shifter makes a good cruise control.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:
Thanks!!

Wow thanks for that response chris!
To answer your questions:

As for the motor I am now considering the Honda gx35 with a friction drive setup.

I plan on spending around $500 for the motor and putting it on my trek mountain bike.

I plan on traveling cheap

Anywhere from 60 to 100 miles a day

Either a 1/2 or 1 gallon tank

I plan on using front panniers and one rear one on the opposite side of the motor.

I plan on using front panniers and one rear one on the opposite side of the motor.

Kind of like Slackbiker3 did without the baskets: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?27286-Motorized-Tour-Bike-3. Interested in how you are going to mount the pannier to the opposite side of the engine. Are you going to cut up and have a steel rack brazed or TIG wleded to the friction drive housing? Or have a custom rack built? A simple U shape of 3/8" tubing with a couple cross tubes wouldn't be that difficult to make.

My suggestion would be to make several extended trips before leaving across country to work out any problems. Just make sure you're not eating tires. Hate to see you stranded. Just do a search on tires that work good with friction drives. I think most touring tires would be too thin.

My only concern would be the lack of fenders with a friction drive. You are definitely going to have some heavy downpours some where on your trip. I guess if you're creative, you could devise a fender system to reduce water spray from your tires - maybe cut a section of the fender for the friction drive roller? You'd have to definitely re-enforce the sides of the fenders. I'd use metal fenders rather than plastic. Just make sure you use blue Loctite on your screws and nuts, so nothing vibrates lose.

Friction drives don't work as well in rain compared to chain drive systems. I guess you could sit out the heaviest of storms.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

If I were in your situation, I would use a pusher trailer with a honda or Suburu engine. Enlarge the trailer so it can carry fuel, camping equipment, food, spare clothes and spare tools.

This setup would require very little maintenance and should last the entire trip. Oil changes every 150 hours using a 15w40 HDEO should prolong engine life in hot weather. Very simple concept.

Last edited:
My long distance experience with the HS 142 isn't all that rosy. It's
a decent enough engine short range, but they can get persnickety
on a long haul. You might find yourself struggling with maintenance
hassles regularly; I know I did. If I were to try going transcontinental,
I think I'd go with a honda GX35, not as much power, but incredibly
dependable. Mine has never let me down. The Gx50 has more power.
but it doesn't lend itself readily to a friction setup without an adapter
and you'd need to disable the governor. That entails a good bit of labor
& cost.
If you go 2stroke, it would behoove you to spend the money for a
a good one, i.e. a Tanaka PF4000 40cc.
The advantage to a GX35 on a fric-drive is that it's light, low
maintenance, quiet, and one can easily lift off the roller and pedal
at any time.

Last edited:
I'm trying to post some pics without much luck:
Shown is my $15 huffy with a gx35 DIY belt drive.
Don't laff, it's been super reliable. All I've had to
do is replace the belt a couple times. In the pic
with the trailer the engine's running, hidden under
my stealth cowling. believe it or not the trlr.
weighs less than a B.O.B. & even has a parking
brake. I went to a larger sheave for more low
end in the trlr. pic.

Attachments

• 5th configuration 039.jpg
    5th configuration 039.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 5th configuration 001.jpg
    5th configuration 001.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:
Back