rim questions

johnsteve

Local time
10:33 AM
I am not sure this is the right thread for this, but I will try.

So what are people using for racing rims? I see alot of mags used for racing, but there are also alot of spoked racing wheels out there also.

If your using spoked wheels what is the with size your racing with and why? What brand name rims do you prefer?

What is a better width, a 1 3/8s, or 2 inch rim? I know you have more tire contact with a bigger rim, but does that now sacrifice the speed, or visa versa?

Scouring the internets, its hard to find what other people are using, is it really that big of a secret?

Widest rim and biggest tire if you are going to run it fast on the street, to soak up road damage.
If you are on a track and really racing, go skinny and light.

Steve

Widest rim and biggest tire if you are going to run it fast on the street, to soak up road damage.
If you are on a track and really racing, go skinny and light.

Steve

The thing is running 5.0 tires will take alot of energy to power them (and run alot slower), if your running on the street. I read alot of people running the maxxis hookworm tires. they have a 2.5 inch with on those tires. running less than a one inch tire are dangerous ot motorized bike speeds.

Can I ask what type of rim you use on your bike?

I have 3 bikes, 2 have standard aluminum single wall MTB rims, the other is steel, all same width. Not sure on the width. 1.75"?
Tires are 2.10 and 2.25. The 2.25 is noticeably more comfortable on the road.
I do pedal and find all the 2"+ tires have a lot of drag.

spoked wheels with alloy rims. usually 26 front and 24 rear. I don't have any brand loyalty but weinmann as7x have been good to me and my wallet

I use 14s and have no troubles. if you true them properly you won't have any issues at all no matter how thin your spokes are (within reason). even 16s would be fine, though I wouldn't trust thinner than that

Back