Engine Trouble Ring or something

I tore it all apart today to find that the piston was shot. It took a chunk out of the top of the motor inside. One of the rings also got toren apart.The part that connects to the piston is also junk. So I guess I need a new piston set. can anyone tell me where I might get these parts.I would need to replace the top of motor where the muffler connects into.There is a chunk out of that inside. And I would also need a piston and everything that connects to that. am I better off just getting a new motor. I quess these little motors cant take very much abuse or they cant get too hot. If you ask me I think they are junk over all but they are fun so i want to fix or get a new one. Cause I had a blast on it.Should I go back to Dax or go elsewhere to find a stronger motor or are they all the same?

a lot of those questions you can answer yourself: did you do everything we've all figured out as far as break-in, pre-mix, gaskets, etc, etc? is it something you missed and you'd make out better starting fresh? this isn't smartypants stuff, just being philosophical...

as far as how much to replace...my opinion: get the "short block" from dax, all ready to go. use the forum to make sure you cover every detail.

keep us posted 8)

So you need a cylinder assembly, a piston 8.99, a ring and a connecting rod, once again, not sure. So you are up to around 50 dollars. Make sure you don't need anything else. How are the bottom end bearings?

You'll have to clean the inside of the engine very thoroughly to make sure no metal chips ect are in there.

I contacted dax for you to check on availability and price for the new engine without the ancillary items from the kit, I'll keep you posted.

bottom-end was my worry...sounds like a lottta junk got in there.

dax sells the short-block (engine only) right on his site, have a look see for yourself.

Yes I have contacted dax he doesnt have all the parts I need so i am looking at getting another motor. I am not sure if I am going back to dax for it. I really didnt do anything for this to happen I think they are very cheap motors thats all. It just got hot one day and messed everything up. then it just went down hill from there.Still might just get another one from him cause they are that much fun. I ll just take it easy the next time around.

Bertsimon-

It wasn't because it was a dax engine, it was by your own admission, that it "got hot".

No engine from any seller will take much "getting hot" before you have major problems with it.

The reason it got hot will have to be determined, but I'd bet the intake was leaking or the carb wasn't on tight.

Yes, they are "cheap engines" but so are ALL of these bike engines coming from China.

Yes there were a few things I did wrong. When I took it off the bike I did notice a lot of leakage by a bottom gasket. When I took off the four bolts on top they were really loose.I never tighten them after I got the motor. Anyways I order another motor from dax anyhow.
so I ll be back to riding in no time.
should I loctight those four bolts on top?

The head bolts?

If I were me, and I am, I would just leave those alone, run the engine for an hour or two then GENTLY check them. (the idea here is to heat cycle the engine a few times then after it's COMPLETELY COOL check the torque on the head bolts.) Those are one of the few things I didn't loctite, those and the ones that hold the two case halves together. I just checked them all before I ran it.

Don't get carried away tightening the head bolts as they are known to strip. I personally checked both my bikes and found that the head bolts didn't really need to be re-torqued after break in.

If you have or can borrow a torque wrench, tighten them to around 25 foot pounds, no more. If you don't have one, then tighten or check them with your hand holding the head of the ratchet wrench.

or use a nut driver (screwdriver w/ whatever attachment fits) because you usually aren't gonna be able to strip out anything by hand.

SpeedyG said:
or use a nut driver (screwdriver w/ whatever attachment fits) because you usually aren't gonna be able to strip out anything by hand.

Right on right on!

Back