road bike or moutain bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by hheltzer, Apr 25, 2010.

1. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

hey, i am putting a motor on a bicycle, i was just wondering if i should put the motor on a road bike or a moutain bike? what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? which is better?

2. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

If you are talking about a cruiser (road bike) or a mountain bike, I have both, that is to say I have the cruiser and my son the mountain bike. I like the cruiser, and I'm going to put a shift kit on it. I already have the rear cassette on the bike at the moment and at the time I put the shift kit on I'll do the dérailleur. Straight stock bike I feel the mountain bike is better in case you need to peddle... for me I'm not going to peddle these hills for so much as 5 minutes. I'm 63, own a cell phone, have both a Yukon and a Dodge 2500..... I'll play like ET....I'll "Phone Home"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
  3. I wound'nt use a roadbike or 10-speed bike, use a cruiser or mountain bike.

4. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

5. well you can,the engine fits on easy,but i don't like the skinny *** tires and belive if you hit a bump there gos your tires and up over the handle bars you go.Where a helmet and ride safe.

6. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

would a road bike be any faster beacuse it is lighter?

7. Yes i belive if it is faster than a regualar bike before you put a motor on, than it would also be faster after putting one on. Also if its lighter it will be faster.

8. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

would it be dramatically faster?

9. Probally not, but in would probally take off a little faster and have a little more top speed.
    I wouldn't use a road bike unless you already ride one.

10. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

yeah i have a trek 820, which is a heavy steel bike? will this bike be fine for a motirzed bike/?

11. If your trek 820 is full size and have plenty of room in the v-frame middle part,than yes if will fit fine and be great to motorized.

The trek 820 is a mountain bike.

12. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

y would it be great? would the bike be too heavy? y or y not?

13. If its a full size mountain bike it will be easier to install on it, and the motor has plenty of power to move a heavy bike.

14. hheltzer

hheltzer Member

i am not installing it in the frame, i bought a staton 33.5 cc robin subru 4 stoke motor, staton set up rack mounted? is this a good set up? have u herd of it?

15. I have heard of it and i know nothing about it, im sure its easy to install and that it probally is a good kit. And i bet it can go on almost any bike. Sounds like a good setup and you can use regular gas without mixing oil.

But it was too much money for me as i bought a 48cc 2-stroke inframe kit for $185 and put it on a $99 Scwhinn del mar cruiser bike.