Road Rage!

I get a rager just about every 2nd day from all walks of life, by that I mean be it a oldie in a Merc, BMW or some gas guzzling clean-skin in a shiny 4x4, to a car load of drunken twipes screaming out the passenger window and the driver conveniently swerves to make it uncomfortable when approaching a parked car on the side of the road, I have to jump on the footpath.
Some a cool, all they wanna see is a bit of action and cheer ya on.
Some are daringly dangerous, it IS a jungle out there at times.

Cops are cool so far, as long as I ride sensibly, have lights on at night. I was followed by cops at one time and they just passed on by, they waved and that is most unusual.

Interesting stories here btw, it seems some people are actually annoyed about a bike with 2 stroke engine that can average lots and lots more MPG. Do they have another solution to solve to cost of getting about due to the price of fuel these days ?
Should I pedal everywhere then ? No I can't, I have degenerative injuries and there is no cure.
A bike with a motor is the only solution I can think of.

I get a rager just about every 2nd day from all walks of life, by that I mean be it a oldie in a Merc, BMW or some gas guzzling clean-skin in a shiny 4x4, to a car load of drunken twipes screaming out the passenger window and the driver conveniently swerves to make it uncomfortable when approaching a parked car on the side of the road, I have to jump on the footpath.
Some a cool, all they wanna see is a bit of action and cheer ya on.
Some are daringly dangerous, it IS a jungle out there at times.

Cops are cool so far, as long as I ride sensibly, have lights on at night. I was followed by cops at one time and they just passed on by, they waved and that is most unusual.

Interesting stories here btw, it seems some people are actually annoyed about a bike with 2 stroke engine that can average lots and lots more MPG. Do they have another solution to solve to cost of getting about due to the price of fuel these days ?
Should I pedal everywhere then ? No I can't, I have degenerative injuries and there is no cure.
A bike with a motor is the only solution I can think of.

Sorry you get a rager so often BoltsMissing... that's no fun. Hang in there and try not to let them get the best of ya. Don't let them control you because that is what they are trying to do. Keep your cool and keep on puttin'.

I think it's great that we are getting 150 mpg and everyone else is getting 18 or so... those SUVs really suck up the gas and cost a fortune to fill. People are now paying over $100 to fill up their vehicles. Boy that hurts. It cost a lot to fill up our car but we don't drive it much. I have to feel sorry for folks that are having to drive theirs everyday. That's got to hurt the pocket book. But YEA! the little mbs are getting 150 mpg and puttin' right along. Good for all of us.

Glad that the cops are cool with you. I don't have my kit yet (few more days and I will) but I will see how things go when I get it. I live in such a small town that I'm thinking about taking the direct approach and going to the police station and saying "Hi Ralph, look at my new motored bike". Our town is so small it doesn't even have a red light... just stop signs.

ARGH!!! Jerks like this give roadies like me a bad name! As a serious road biker who has ridden since before Lance won his first Tour (and also refuses to wear spandex), I have to say that nobody on the trails irritates me more than these weekend warrior lance-wannabes. I usually call them spandex super-heroes... to their face if possible. These jerks are the most self-absorbed, pretentious knobs, whose righteous sense of entitlement is only shadowed by the amount of money they spent on their gear. I love Lance, and respect his accomplishments... but after he got four of those tours under his belt, the number of jerks on the bike paths increased ten fold.

The funny thing is, these guys who've spent thousands of dollars on their bikes are also the easiest to pass. Nothing gets them going more than hearing "ON YOUR LEFT!" They try to keep up, but I've been doing it for years and can go all day if I have to.

Sadly, my dad is one of these guys. The combination of Lance, and my own enthusiasm for road bikes got him into it. I can still pass the old man on his carbon-fiber monocoque without breaking a sweat.

Large, don't worry about these idiots. Those of us on roadies who bike for more than just exercise respect your intentions and won't give you trouble. Guys like the one you ran into don't represent anybody, despite what they think. They're the same jerks who probably moan and groan about the environment, but still drive SUVs, don't recycle, and leave all the lights on at home. I can't stand these guys... (obviously) And being on their level I've probably run into more of them myself.

some days I feel like making some paint bombs and keeping a pouchful.

Then when some idiot trys to run me over, I paint ball em.

See how much they larf when the acid eats out the car duco.
thats an expensive fix.

but the sensible side of me kicks in and I think about the fact that I'm
not a perfect driver/rider either.

I just get so passionate when riding, it comes out as defensive white hot rage.
I guess when someone seemingly deliberately trys to kill you, the self defense genes kick in.

karma comes to all, including bad&responsible car drivers.

Oh man Taxi drivers are a whole different breed of %$^&.

I'm gonna do this right. Maybe I'll make some internet roadie friends. Who knows.
I just registered with the very real intention of getting fit and losing weight but a little at a time.
Today I pedaled Cronus around that fishing lake 4 times today. I even pedal on that long haul every now and then to get some cardiovascular. But no way can I pedal the whole way.
I'm nice anyway. Maybe I'll get some understanding there and all it could do is help the movement.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t74431.html

It's been 7 days now since I registered and I e-mailed their Admin something like 4 times with no reply.
It's childish I think. I bet most of the members there would at the least respect my plea. But this Admin guy apparently doesn't want any part of us.
Maybe he's on Vacation. I'll keep checking every day....
Maybe an invasion is in order....

And thanks for that sjackson. I know most roadies actually embrace some of us. At least were doing the right thing here. I started a thread in my local forum and roadies chimed in replies seeing absolutely no problem with us.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing to add to my rant against the spandex super-heroes is that they also have issues with other bikers, and pedestrians on the paths. There's actually a 20mph speed limit on my local trails. These guys never respect it. They also get super impatient when passing slower bikers (which is why I love passing them) and pedestrians, to the point of being unsafe. I've seen them zip by a father and his two little kids on training wheel bikes going full bore and shouting "ON YOUR LEFT!" All it would take for tragedy is for them to startle one of those kids who end up accidentally steering into their path.

Just inconsiderate and self absorbed.

LOL I saw one on Judge Judy who ran over a lady runner. She sued him for Dr. bills and he counter sued for his Dr. bills and bike repair. He lost. She said it's just like a car you have to be incontrol of your speed and be prepared for evasive manuvers. You are responsible when you hit someone from behind.

Yea how come roadies do that with their LEFT remark? Why don't they do like me and say "Excuse me sir."
Common courtesy,yo.

Yea how come roadies do that with their LEFT remark? Why don't they do like me and say "Excuse me sir."
Common courtesy,yo.

I don't know. It really comes off as abrupt and rude (also why I do it when I pass them.) I usually slow down on the trails when I'm passing and just say "Pardon me" and pass.

Back