Rob/Sub 35cc carburetor air filter soaked

Mountainman

Local time
10:12 PM
The little Robin has been running well for the first 5 or 6 hundred miles -- until today I noticed some loss of power. The air filter is soaked with gas ? I cleanned it and put it back in -- getting wet fast. Any ideas ? Happy Riding from - Mountainman

On my scooter that happens when my air filter is not letting enough air through and it pulls more gas to equalize the vacuum. Then the wet filter makes the filter even less porous and starts a vicious cycle. Also it gets wet when my carb is adjusted too rich.

Last edited:
Mountainman, it's probably clogged with dirt. You washed it, but I think there's dirt firmly embedded in the foam filter's pores. The filter is just made of black foam, the same as some packaging foam I've come across. You might want to try on a new filter. Keep us updated.

well you all -- the beast was running pretty good at the end of today.. Started out this morning wondering what to expect - started as always - one or two licks - rode for a little while - I was trying to figure out why my engine seemed to be a slight bit sluggish - then took a short break and when it came to restart - A FIRST - WOULDN'T START !! Took about 12 cranks - then it fired up - idling somewhat rough - I took off and it was running poorly - and then it just broke loose and ran super fine - for the rest of the day ??? What was it ? I am just not sure - something in the carb or gas line that broke through ? A piece of carbon hanging something up ? A sticky valve ? I had my buddy follow me in his car - he said that I was going 22.5 mph - that's as good as it gets. It's always nice when things fix themselfs - but - leaves one wondering if and when it will happen again ? For now - Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Last edited:
seafoam seems to work for me

Hey you guys - I have heard a lot about sea foam on this site - new to me. The fuel line going to my carb - is VERY light weight - almost rubber looking. I wonder - Sea Foam maybe ? I would like to run some cleanner - if it won't melt it ! Off the subject - Man am I going to miss my MB - off to Kona today with the little Lady.. It would be a blast to have it with me - but - with the BIG mountains over there I would need a 1/2" roller on my friction -- I know - not even made.. Until we return - be safe and Happy Riding from - Mountainman

I use Seafoam for storing small amounts of gas. Also Sta-Bil. When you use Seafoam, you might see some dark smoke, not a lot. Both will clean the fuel lines and keep the gas from turning to varnish. Still don't know about fuel injector cleaner. Have fun at Kona :)

Wet filter

Hi I don't know what you will find but as an old-time mechanic I can tell you thsat if your intake valve is too tight, it will "sneeze" fuel back into the air cleaner, and can, intermittently run really carpy, have you loosened your valves a bit?

Mike

Back