Robin - Subaru EHO35 / Diamond Back Project

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by lennyharp, May 4, 2008.

1. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

This is a project my wife got me started on. Well almost. She showed me a photo of a Vespa type motor scooter and said why don't we get one instead of another car. So I said that would be good and thought of a Whizzer. Then after joining here and studying up I decided to bid on a bike at eBay and buy a kit for it. The photo is of the bike I ordered and received.

A Staton inside drive kit is coming my way now. I decided to get a kit so I could make use of their proven solutions for problems I may not even know about yet. I should get the kit tomorrow and start a frame modification to install it.

I have ordered some 4130 Cro Moly 1/2 inch .049 wall thickness tubing. I will build a rack of this to hold the motor and make a lighter and stronger mount this way. I will post pics as I go.

Do any of you experienced builders see a problem with this type of install? I have built complete frames in the past so feel confident that my skills are up to the challenge. I will filit braze the rack on using low temp brazing rod. I just like to be forewarned about challenges and plan solutions as I go.

Attached Files:

• db1.jpg
      File size:
      142.7 KB

2. will_start

will_start Member

Hi Lenny,

I did a search and found this post.

I'm not sure how it compares exactly to your bike,
    but have seen other posts on the subject of bike size etc.

My friend has a Diamond Back, and I've thought a motor would go well in the
    Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

looks like you are off to a good start.

I'm eager to see this project come to life.
  4. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

Here are photos of my work last week on the bike. As you can see I have attached the beginning of a rack to the seat stays at a fairly high place. The main tubes are carbon fiber wrapped so I kept the brazing points a little lower. I am almost done with the work and hope to get it on the road today. Then I will take some more pics and repost. This is fun but not a simple build as I have never done it before with a motor and second chain involved in the mix.

I have added 3 photos from today that show the frame as it stands but without the motor and gearbox. I may not get the photos of the complete bike till next week. I will ride for a month or so before I take it all apart and paint. It is a work in progress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  5. SirJakesus

SirJakesus Guest

Whats the rack going to be used for? Is it going to rise above the staton inside drive and engine or is it a replacement for some of statons rack? I can say from experience statons rack is heavy duty and shouldn't need to be replaced unless you're going for something special.
  6. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I got it going except for a kill switch. Seems to be defective or I am. The rack is to hold the motor and gear box in place stronger and lighter than the Staton one. More photos coming. I got to ride it a little and get a switch and a kickstand now.
  7. frameteam2003

frameteam2003 Member

I'm also building on a staton inside drive---not as far along as you.The inside drive does require a bit more work as the standard mount is not really made for it.I too built a rack to hold the gearbox and motor.I felt the overall balance would be better with the kit centered,that's the reason I went with the inside drive.Looking forward to your new photos---sam
  8. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I hope to get the photos up tomorrow of the bike as it sits now. I rode for 45 minutes today about half on canal banks and grinned a lot. At max I am going about 25 and feel great. I can pedal that fast for short bursts, and add a lot of power on climbs. In about 100 miles I have learned some and really am glad I got this bike and motor combo. The rack is solid and the motor drive-train is solid. The brakes work well and the gears shift well so I can assist the starts. All this adds up to a dependable piece of transportation.
  9. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

More pics

Here it is with a motor and over 100 miles on it. I love riding it

Attached Files:

10. frameteam2003

frameteam2003 Member

good looking fit,was able to get mine tem- running.The cradle I built needed some beefing up.Did that today and now I don't get chain bike will take more work account it's a very vintage(1938) model.Will try and do some pics in a few days.Mine is a retro-mini/motor style(english)--I do like the balance and tork of the Staton/35Robin.Your bike sure looks like fun and the spring frame should take care of the ruf roads.
  11. Irish John

Irish John Guest

Nice build Lenny. what is it's cruising speed?
  12. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

I have not installed a speedometer yet but it consistently reads 23 to 25 mph on the radar signs we have around town. I am pretty happy with it and will finish it up and paint it soon. No weakness have shown up yet so thanks for the compliment. I asked for gearing that would give me 25 mph as a 250 lb. rider.
  13. pabickwermert

pabickwermert Member

Hey Lenny,

That stretch bike is looking sharp.

I can't wait to see how you make the back suspension. (with the shock...)

I will be watching for new pics!

oops, this was supposed to be on the stretch build. I will add it over there.
  14. lennyharp

lennyharp Member

yea this is my current ride. It is soon to be retired as the main frame is carbon fiber and I do not trust it for long term durability. I do know that some materials can just break apart with no real warning. The stretch frame will be an all steel frame. I did have to add a support to the front of the rack so it would not bounce on severe bumps. I have well over 1000 miles so figure I have spent about $1.00 per mile including gas expenses. I probably will not get 2000 miles with this unit as I will mount it on a ladies frame for my wife.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  15. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

the subaru is impecable as well as the goldeneagle belt drive , i was a die hard happytimer for a long time & i have the pile of blown engines to prove it, ill never go back! rock on lenny! besides it puts a few of us americans to work. dang the chinese & n.a.f.t.a.