Rochester NY New to Forum- BMP Friction Drive using Honda GX31

michaelb11

Local time
4:49 PM
I'm from Rochester NY and I will be building a BMP friction drive on my Nishiki Hybrid 26' bike using a Honda GX31 from a honda tiller with a blown transmission. Has anyone done this with a Honda Tiller?

Has anybody registered a Friction Drive Bike as a Moped in NY? Whats involved?

Thanks

Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike
Sorry, I know nothing about NY laws
I figure with a little camoflauge and the quiet gx 31 cc motor
no one would even know it was there. Gonna paint the red housing black
and put a milk crate and or some netting over it.

I just bought a used Honda gx 31 that came off the same Harmony? tiller
They seem to be a lot of them around with bad gears which are expensive to replace

Because of the angle of the fuel tank filler neck I planned to mount
the gx 31 with the carb facing up on a home made friction drive
However the tank is very small so will probably add an auxillary fuel tank

I don't think this will be a problem as i think it is an all angle engine and
the tiller mounting has it with the clutch facing down

I took the most of the motor apart to clean it as it was pretty dirty from
being on the tiller
Glad that i took the clutch shoes off as the 2 steel shoulder bolts were
practically frozen to the pivots on the aluminum clutch shoes from corrosion
and water.
I doubt if the clutch would have worked properly.
Had to put a hose clamp around the circumference of the clutch
shoes so that i could even turn the bolts.
It was very difficult to remove.

Did you get the kit from Bike Motor Parts yet?
I was thinking about buying from them but they don't answer
multiple emails and have no other contact method
Dumbasses lost a sale from me over that

thanks Forbisher

I did get the kit today in the mail so they did respond to me very quickly after placing the order last Thurday..I have not been home to open the package..I will keep you updated.

I am bummed about the NY laws...but perhaps camoflauging the unit is a good idea.

I got the BMP kit unpacked and it looks great, well documented. I dissambled my GX31 from the tiller and learned the throttle cable was too short. My clutch was in great shape. I only had about 20 hrs on the tiller over the 5 yrs.

i will mount the engine tonightn and try to find a local shop that sells a longer throttle cable. I rthink the throttle lever and the kills swithc will work fine on my bike. I just need to drill a hole in the handle bar for the screw.

Hello and welcome to MBc..good luck and happy motoring... read this as an example of pushing the law..this my friend is a peddal assited bicycle ok.. http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=14550 My suggestion is lights helmet and hand signals and just ride the thing...the DMV's of America are not ready yet there isn't a class yet..you cant insure it either i have tried in order to do that you must make a vin number then they will know how to deal with it. A pedal assist helps you along a motorized bike with pegs and no pedals is a moped get it...?

my gx31 and BMP friction kit is for sale...any takers.....bannist@hotmail.com, reasonable offers only please

Long time no see.....

What happened?
Why are you selling it?

You would be better off waiting until the weather warms up (and gas prices go up)
and putting an ad on Craigslist

Back