Rock solid new turbo kits

Here's my take on it:
With a piston port intake some air/fuel is pushed back out of the crankcase towards the carb at any lower than peak rpm (which is where a piston port intake functions best due to the inertia of the intake charge). A turbocharger would prevent some of that blowback which would increase the charge that gets transfered up into the cylinder. That would result in some power gain although it may double the pollution of unburnt gas.
With a reed valve intake the turbo would increase the amount of intake charge at all rpm giving a power boost throughout the rev range. also the pollution.
Some people say it would only increase the pollution. I don't think so. For one, the volume of air/fuel transferred into the combustion chamber is normally about 80% of the available volume at maximum (depending on rpm). Increasing the volume that gets transferred increases that percentage for more power. What fuel is lost out the exhaust pipe is not "extra" but what short circuits from the transfer area to the exhaust port. The more the transfer ports aim the intake charge back towards the rear of the cylinder, the less charge gets short circuited. Doing that on these engines by placement of JBWeld at the front sides of the ports nets a power increase every time because the transfer port design is so bad. It would definitely have to be done with use of a turbo.

Yeah, it would give increased power, undeniably, but the pollution would be the problem. Maybe a rotary valve would be a way to deal with it to some degree. A turbo could also b fitted after an xpansion chamber (which also supercharges the combustion chamber, so wouldnt really b needed) tho it possibly would produce hi frequency positive sound waves. Either way, RSE machinist told me over the phone that they had developed it specifically for small 4 strokes. Cheers

I love the rotary valve design. I once took a CanAm 250 for a spin and it had a beefy powerband. But I hear the disc valve wears out fast.
Yes an expansion chamber "supercharges" (increases compression) but only at peak rpm when it is in sync with the motor.
The best solution, in my opinion, is fuel injection since it sprays the fuel in just after the piston closes off the exhaust port so that no fuel is lost out that port. That in conjunction with a nicely designed expansion chamber would be sweet. And of course synthetic oil to eliminate the obnoxious exhaust smoke.

That Ecotrons fuel injection system requires a timing sensor for the CDI which ours does not have. The timing for our CDI is just from the voltage rise of the stator coil.
It also requires a 12 volt 2 amp electrical source which we also don't have.

I would like to see how the Rock Solid Engines works. It is most likely going need some type of power - or maybe I am wrong and it is mechanical.

With the Ecotrons, you can either use the system to run the ignition and fuel injection or just the fuel injection and use you stock ignition. The system in then setup in Batch Injection mode and the fuel is injected continuously. I believe timing can come from the white wire. I've read posts were others have attached a tachometer to the white wire.

Here's a 35cc engine on the Ecotrons without a hall sensor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=oVe2UL6Sjyk

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Last edited:
Back