Rocket Ray Headlight conversion

B

bobcaller

I am not sure which forum to put this in, so I will let admin move it if necessary.
When I bought my Schwinn Hornet for $25.00 about ten years ago, I had thoughts of restoring it, but found the price of parts to be unbelievable. So ith has been in the shed all these years. I saw the motors, got hooked on the concept and put a Dax 70cc on it! It had the bottom half of the rocket ray headlight on the front fender, and after riding a couple of times at dusk, I decided to take the plunge and get a new Rocket Ray (repop). I checked with Larry at Memory Lane......$100!!!! Ouch. I told him I only needed the top half, he said "no problem, $50.00. I thought....."OK," and asked if it included the lens. He said, "Yes". Well, it came, and didn't have the socket for the light bulb. I called him and he said that they come with the bottom half, and I could send it back and pay for a complete one if I wanted. I told him I would see what I could do. I bought three different flashlights at the dollar store.....no go..they are too deep. So I went to Walmart, and took the light in with me. I found the following:
3076_DSCF0878_1.jpg

Hmmm, I thought...if I could get it to fit in the Rocket Ray, I would have LED, low beam and High beam (even red if I want it)...So I bought it, took it home and started tinkering:
This is what I started with
3076_DSCF0879_1.jpg

I carefully drilled out the rear rivet (replaceable if I need to).
3076_DSCF0883_1.jpg

I cut the head strap from the LED light, and sanded the edges:
3076_DSCF0887_1.jpg

I took my Dremel and a sanding disc and cut a slot to fit over the "pin" that was left on the original light:
3076_DSCF0885_1.jpg

3076_DSCF0890_1.jpg

Pressure fitted it over the pin:
3076_DSCF0892_1.jpg

Added the top (since painted almond to match the bottom)
3076_DSCF0896_1.jpg

3076_DSCF0897_1.jpg

and VIOLA!!, maybe the worlds first LED Rocket Ray!
3076_DSCF0898_1.jpg

3076_DSCF0899_1.jpg

I do have to open the cover to turn it on hoewever because it has a four way switch, one push inside lights, one push outside lights, one puse all four lights, one push red lights (for that evil look).
Sorry for the long post. I will be uploading the completed project in the Pictures forum under "barn find hornet".

Back