ROSS Europia- before and after.

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Guest, May 10, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Latest build...I told you I'd get er' done today!

2. Barret

Barret Guest

Joe - that is strangely beautiful! Nice job.... :cool:
  3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest appeals to me, too: i'm the guy who wears a fatigue-green jacket, has a eureka combat tent and a surplus ALICE pack for "recreation" :evil:

'joe, that is a honey of a bike, it looks like something you'd see on "mail-call"...nice work 8)

let us know how the engine paint holds up.
  4. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Paint on the exhaust??? Is that safe? considering how much hotter they get than any other part on these engines? (from my experience)
  5. SlicerDicer

SlicerDicer Guest

I see no problem with it... worst comes to worser it will just melt off or burn off right :grin:
  6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

heck yeah, it might burn a nice instant patina on there :p
  7. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

Looks pretty cool. what was your inspiration?

Who said, " It aint easy being green " :?
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks all.

I wanted to test a couple of things, one being the "regular" paint on the engine/exhaust. I didn't want to paint it all flat black, so I thought about what monocromatic color scheme would look good and I figured spraying it olive drab was one way to go. I was going to add a red star (Chinese Army) to the tank, but couldn't find one, then the thought kinda faded away....that leave it open to interpertaion anyway.

I doubt the exhaust paint will hold up though.

Now the bad news- I waited a week to get the tensioner from dax (the kit came without one) finally got it yesterday and the danged thing won't work! The frame tubes are too small and when it's tightened all the way, it isn't even close to tight.

Sooooo, I cut a few extra links out of the chain and put it on and it grinds on the same (skinny) tube. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. I tried using spacers and it still rubs on the lower frame rail.

I may have to "decommision" the bike and use the engine on another I have here. At least I'll have a strangely beautiful pseudo military bicycle, and I may even do the same paint treatment to the Murray Westport I have waiting in the soon as I find a set of wheels to put on it. :cry:

It was a fun build, as they all are, and I still have the trusty Western Flyer to ride for now. It gets new tires tomorrow.

Here's a couple more, thanks for indulging me...[​IMG]

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

any chance of finding a flat "shim" to get the tensioner to grab the stay?
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

It's been a long day augi, but you sparked my brain into thinking again.

I DO have some different sized "saddles" from ultralight tubing and some curved soon as I get another masterlink from the bike shop so I can "re-add" the section of chain I took out, I think that might fix 'er.

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

i say "shim" you say "saddle"...just get the fargen thing on the road, dude...glad i "helped" :p
  12. locoWelder

locoWelder Guest

nice ride ! 8) how about some finder plates from the early 1900's and a large headlight for that WWI look......damn now I'm thinking of one .......this is going to get exspencive
  13. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

Nice cleanonce over and the great thing is, if you should ever get stranded, you could hide that in the tall grass until winter with out worries of anyone finding it! :smile:
  14. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

If the chain is rubbing on the tube, Take the wheel off and add metal washers between the wheel and frame, giving some clearance, then tighten as normal.

That's what I did.
  15. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

I had a similar idea awhile back for my '57 huffy customliner deluxe, but never got to it. You've done a very clean job on that one!
  16. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

That bike would look good on the bike rack of my sugga. you might try putting a crimp on the inside of the left chainstay(the tube from the bottombracket to the rear dropout) look at the other side for ideas.
  17. Muckem

Muckem Guest

NICE, makes me wanna salute.
  18. croniebones

croniebones Banned

Nice army bike- Go Army!
  19. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

yeah cronie, it sure looks familiar, eh?
    :p :lol::lol:
  20. croniebones

croniebones Banned

vaguely... it DOES show up on the top of the page A LOT. I guess you can be banned for a year, but the bike is still header-worthy. ;)
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008