Rough first week

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by hooligan, Jun 20, 2007.

1. hooligan

hooligan Guest

Alright i finally got everything together and moving correctly (i think) now the dang thing will not start. I got the chain working right thanks to everyone here and their great advice.Now i have read the advice given to others and tried to follow all of it, i put a few drops of fuel mix into to spark plug hole, I'm not sure which direction "open" is but i tried moving the carb lever in all directions. I pushed the little button on the carb, now im afraid i pushed it too much because it threw up from pushing it too much :sad: . I warmed the spark plug up and tilted the bike on its side. I just do not know what to do anymore please help!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

For the fuel tap turn it so the lever is in line with the gas line for on. The choke is "on" or closed for starting when in the up position.

3. hooligan

hooligan Guest

The fuel line was opened correctly and the choke i tired up, down and even in the middle. Is there a position better than another? Is it supposed to be up? All it does is make a whuurrr noise and come to a stop. It kind of scares me a little I dont know if thats bad for it or what. I have tried going real fast too, I pushed it to the top of a steep hill and went zooming down and still nothing.

4. Chopper

Chopper Guest

Mine does that most mornings!.... bit more pedalling and a little throttle with the choke in the up (closed) position and it eventually goes... only takes a few minutes.

5. spunout

spunout Member

There's basically only two reasons an engine wont start...its not getting fuel, or its not getting fire. I think you have two threads (see 'Rough first day') going of the same problem.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

See your other thread.......spark plug.

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

yes, DO see the existing topic...duplicating doesn't help anyone, especially your MBc Volunteers.

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

unlocked after a PM with hooligan.

please, everyone...be technically specific in your subject line in the help area!

9. hooligan

hooligan Guest

Sorry for the confusion everyone. OK so I have put my finger in the engine and I am not feeling a spark. I'm not sure if I am supposed to pedal with the clutch down and then release it to feel the spark or if I am supposed to just pedal with the clutch down. I tried with just the clutch down (not releasing it) because i was afraid of crashing it if I went fast and had my finger in the engine at the same time. I felt nothing. If this is the case what do I do next?

10. hooligan

hooligan Guest

Also about how many times should I be pushing the little button on the side of the carb?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds like either the black (killswitch) wire or the white (lights) wire is grounding out. Also, my kill switch was bad from the beginning and I had to remove it to get spark, so check those items.

The button on the carb is the "tickler" and you only press it to overflow the float chamber....I usually hold it for 2-3 seconds maximum, and then only once.

12. hooligan

hooligan Guest

How do I go about checking to see if those wirse are grounding out? I do know that the Black wire I have grounded to one of the bolts holding the muffler in place is that bad?

13. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

say WHAT!?

black to black

blue to blue/green

white capped off or for headlight

insulate all three connections from ground (frame) and each other

14. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

guys, i'm not picking on hooligan here...

new members and our guests should realize that all the basics have been covered here many times over...it bothers
    me (see my personal mission statement) to see a basic-install go wrong. we try very hard to keep the good stuff available and searchable, have a look around before you grab a wrench or post a new topic. if you use MBc right, i promise you'll be happily surprised at how smooth your build goes 8)

15. hooligan

hooligan Guest

I know you are not picking on me and it seems that i have not read over the prior posts, but the thing is that i had to wait four weeks before i could even order my enigine and during that time i did nothing but read this website and when it came the instructions were terrible so i went on yours alone, now when i have problems i read all that i can here about it and still i am getting nothing, so that is why i am asking to see if more information could be offered that has not been before. Also with all my research it is possible to miss something im not trying to be rude but i do make mistakes

16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Yep, that's bad...that's definitely no going to get you any spark.....

She'll be running any minute now I bet!

18. hooligan

hooligan Guest

So i disconnected the kill switch altogether and wrapped the blue and black wires in electical tape, and still nothing? I have read mixed things about holding the throttle open when releasing the clutch, so I'm going to try it both ways and we'll see what happens

19. Guest

Guest Guest

What do you have the blue wire plugged into? What about the black one?

Do you have spark yet?

20. hooligan

hooligan Guest

The blue is plugged into the blue wire coming out of the engine and the black is into the black wire coming out of the engine and the white wire (coming out of the engine)i have wrapped and just hanging. I'm not sure if i have a spark I don't know if im just supposed to pedal with the cluctch pulled or pedal fast and release it like I would if I were to try and start it. I suppose I will just try it both ways.