Chains Rough Ride, and Escaping Chain...

devonjordan

Local time
4:55 AM
Hello ALL,

I just purchased a "HT" motor, and am really thrilled with it. Thanks again to Blue Collar Bikes. I am having 2 problems though.

1- The ride is really rough. The engine sounds good/smooth, when the clutch is disengaged, but when engaged, it sounds like a can of marbles has been released on the inside of the cylinder. Any suggestions? Or is this just the nature of the beast.

2- The chain, engine side, want to jump off the small engine sprocket. I saw one fix that I might try tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions.

Please don't bash the HT motors in this thread, I know, its **** chinese stuff. I was prepared for that.

Thanks for all the help you can give me

-Devon Jordan

hey devon

Get some size 41 chain! (farm and fleet) or tractor supply 15bucks for ten foot! the hole in the middle is a little wider. Also make sure you've got your sprockets in a perfect straight line! Check the back one by spinning wheel and slowly moving a pen into it. Look for high spots!! and tighten bolts!

Did you grease ALL of the places that need grease?
On the clutch side there needs to be a bean sized blob between the 2 gears.
Under the carb is the clutch cable holder. Unscrew it and use a grease gun to fill the void where the actual clutch spring is.
The ball and pin on the drive sprocket side of the engine.
One on the left, one in the middle and, one on the right. WHEW!!!
Thats a lotta grease.

Your chain is too loose. You need to tighten that sucker. Best way to assemble the chain is to use a zip tie to hold the chain in place. Just zip tie the two ends together. Make it tight, to the point you think its too tight and is difficult to assemble.

The zip tie helps, it's hard, all most impossible to assemble a chain with the right tension w/o a chain stretcher/ (or zip tie). Use a pair of pliers to pull the zip tie, closing the distance between the ends enough to slip in the master link. Assemble the retaining plate and clip then cut the zip tie.

If you did this right you will not need the tensioner at first. Start your motor and ride for a few min. Keep an eye on the chain though.

Now the chain should be stretched and a bit loose. Adjust your chain tensioner so it is close to your sprocket, that will help keep it on the wheel sprocket. Next adjust your chain tensioner in/out, towards the wheel/ away from wheel paying attention to center the chain on your spokes teeth... that will help with alignment from sprocket to motor.

Its good to adjust the tensioner so you have 'adjustment'... meaning, do not have it in a position where you need the thing all the way in the up position. Moving the tensioner closer to the rear wheel will tighten the chain and still leave 'adjustment', you know for when you have to retighten the thing in a week(or longer depending how often your riding)

Your primary gears are another source of noise. Grease everything with Mobil AW2, lightly on the primary and clutch. Do not use wd40 on anything!!!! only chain lube.

Hope that helps.

If you sprocket has chrome on its teeths, you should knock it off with a grinder or file. May make chain jump the sprocket.

Back