RS-68 Legal Motorized Bikes in Florida at last!!!

You people make it sound like all you have to do is go buy a tag,,,,have you read RS-68 and the procedures you must go through...????Gene your smart ass remarks are not necessary..

You people make it sound like all you have to do is go buy a tag,,,,have you read RS-68 and the procedures you must go through...????Gene your smart ass remarks are not necessary..

Once the law was very vague. Cops basically did what they wanted to do . Some riders got locked up others got a pass. Now the law is specific and instead of outlawing motorized bikes it does the opposite. It makes them legal albeit with conditions. Conditions that apply to all motor vehicles. This is the reality of the situation and it is a good one. Hoops and all. Do you propose to eliminate all DMV motor vehicle procedures?

You may not like my smart ass remarks but what exactly do you want? Do you think you should be able to do whatever you want? What makes a Motorized Bike immune from motor vehicle laws? By some Right From a Higher Authority you imagine? It is guys like you who when busted come on here and complain about the Cops and the Laws. It is guys like you don't have drivers licenses for breaking the laws is the first place now think they deserve a pass with a motor on a bike. And it is guys like you who do not respect others in this hobby who are trying to do the correct thing by making it harder for us.

But no longer. We are legal 100% in Florida. You can't change that no matter what you say. You can only decide to get legal yourself or get arrested. And you will, because now being able to get a tag and not having one makes it a very clear issue for the police to determine proper action as well. With all the posts on this subject and all the reports of tickets and arrest now the vagaries are gone. This is the best news for all of us it would seem except for a few maybe like you who either cannot get legal for prior offenses, or are too lazy or stupid to do so.

One thing is for sure your protesting giving the State of Florida your hard earned dollars for a tag is a silly one.

Yup, keep letting the gov intrude a little at a time, no biggie,... right?Considering all the laws they break on a daily basis, just smile, lube yourself up and bend over, they know what's best.The only thing I got from your back and forth is, DON'T GO TO FLORIDA!!

You sound like a pompous a**. Whatever the reason for losing one's license that doesn't mean that life ends there...One must still get to work, shopping, drug store, etc.....For many people, MB's are not a hobby, but a necessity. Prior to RS-68 there was indeed enough vagaries to at least give you a chance in court......but no more....What the hell, we all will just have to get in Obama's breadline and let folks like you take care of us....As for me at almost 69 yrs old, I don't give a damn what you think of me.......

You sound like a pompous a**. Whatever the reason for losing one's license that doesn't mean that life ends there...One must still get to work, shopping, drug store, etc.....For many people, MB's are not a hobby, but a necessity. Prior to RS-68 there was indeed enough vagaries to at least give you a chance in court......but no more....What the hell, we all will just have to get in Obama's breadline and let folks like you take care of us....As for me at almost 69 yrs old, I don't give a damn what you think of me.......

Sorry to hear Doug, maybe you are going to have to switch to electric, and go < 20 mph?

Quote: "So you see mopeds and electric bicycles in Florida have in the past been required to be registered. This new law now makes it possible for motorized bicycles with combustible engines to be legally rode in Florida on the public roadways"

Quote:"Once the law was very vague. Cops basically did what they wanted to do . Some riders got locked up others got a pass. Now the law is specific and instead of outlawing motorized bikes it does the opposite. It makes them legal albeit with conditions."

So was there actually a change in Florida laws here, or a new law passed, or is the DMV just directing their people on how to follow existing laws by publishing a written procedure?

Quote: "So you see mopeds and electric bicycles in Florida have in the past been required to be registered. This new law now makes it possible for motorized bicycles with combustible engines to be legally rode in Florida on the public roadways"

Quote:"Once the law was very vague. Cops basically did what they wanted to do . Some riders got locked up others got a pass. Now the law is specific and instead of outlawing motorized bikes it does the opposite. It makes them legal albeit with conditions."

So was there actually a change in Florida laws here, or a new law passed, or is the DMV just directing their people on how to follow existing laws by publishing a written procedure?

A few states only want you buying a moped from a certified manufacturer. They view a motorized bicycle no differently than a go-cart, ATV, off road motorcycle etc being operated on the public road ways. RC-68 is making a procedure and building guidelines to where you can now run a self built moped on the streets in Florida. Let's hope other motorized bicycle unfriendly states do the same thing.

Thanks Jerry, so there have been no actual changes to the Florida law and there was always a procedure in place for registering home built mopeds. This new RS68 guideline just directs DMV employees to include bicycles with ice engine kits same as home built mopeds. That seems like a victory of sort.

Thanks Jerry, so there have been no actual changes to the Florida law and there was always a procedure in place for registering home built mopeds. This new RS68 guideline just directs DMV employees to include bicycles with ice engine kits same as home built mopeds. That seems like a victory of sort.

Right you are it is quite a victory and you are wrong on one point the previous Dl 10 made it impossible to use a bicycle frame and a kit motor to build a moped and get a moped license. While it was still possible to build a moped just not with a bike frame go figure. I got an email on April 15th with the latest revision where that language was removed. Then I thought we were back to being able to build and register again as mopeds. Then to my surprise they issued RS 68 which makes it very clear not only are bikes with motors legal but definitive guidelines for DMV Staff and Owners to follow. But these are not considered mopeds either, they are legal motorized bicycles. Keep in mind some fellows tried in the past to register under the moped procedures and were turned down depending on the DMV they visited.

This was the language in TL10 from 2011now removed which closed the door on bicycles ..

I]."he definition of bicycle under s. 316.003(2), F.S., includes
motorized bicycles. Bicycles are not registered or titled. Engine
kits for bicycles are not new and there are a variety of kits
available, however, they remain bicycles after the engine kit is
installed. There are other requirements that must be met to be
classified as a motorcycle/scooter/moped such as frame assembly
and safety features. If a customer brings in paperwork for a
bicycle, they cannot be legally issued a title or registration nor is it
required. The agent should also direct the customer to law
enforcement if there are any questions as to where the motorized
bicycle can be used.
TL-10[/I]