RS-68 Legal Motorized Bikes in Florida at last!!!

Quote "But these are not considered mopeds either, they are legal motorized bicycles."

You can call it whatever you like but in the eye of the law they will be Mopeds. It says as much in the directive. There are only 2 different ways that the law allows for. Motorized bicycles which they are not (no electric motor) and Mopeds which is the standard you are building to. In fact you must complete an affidavit saying so. Until the law is changes there is still no place for bicycles with ice engine kits other then to be classified as Mopeds.

Yes true but the path for bicycles to be legal is clear now. It was not before in fact at one point it was prohibited. Look at the end of the day we can enjoy without fear of being ticketed or arrested for a motor on a bike. That really is all that matters.

What they did was drop the requirements for frame structure and (brake, tail and singal) lights. They kept the 50cc limit and automatic transmission (no manual clutch or manual shifting of engine driven gears) requirements. So the way they see it the vehicle is a mid point between a moped and a bicycle.

What they did was drop the requirements for frame structure and (brake, tail and singal) lights. They kept the 50cc limit and automatic transmission (no manual clutch or manual shifting of engine driven gears) requirements. So the way they see it the vehicle is a mid point between a moped and a bicycle.

Where did you see that? "drop the requirements"?
Can you post a link to the inspection requirements for a gas motorized bicycle - Florida?
Thanks. :)

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-68.pdf

In addition to the above info via the link, here is some additional info I just found out by calling number below:
Of course, this info. is for the benefit of our Gas motorized bicycle - Moped Community.

A. Division of Motorist Services Regional Office - (For vehicle inspection)
3200 Armsdale Road Suite 13
Jacksonville, FL 32218
(904) 924-1524

B. Vehicle (Safety) Inspection Requirements Highlights:
(will follow motorcycle guidelines)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...entsIndex.html

(see above Chapters 316.40 - 316.46)

Bullet Points:
Headlight
Tailight
WORKING Stoplight
Reflectors 1 Red? 2 Amber?
Horn
Rear View Mirror
Front and Rear Brakes
Throttle - Twist or Thumb
License Plate Light

From the conversation with the person over at The Division of Motor Services:
a. They will not go into a detailed inspection ie how many feet the headlight or taillight can be seen from, etc
b. He did not clarify what is acceptable safety equipment. ie Is Walmart bicycle headlamp ok?
c. He did say that you will be signing an affidavit stating that your vehicle meets the safety standards of "Title 49 of Florida Statutes Chapter 316"?
(his wiggle out clause)

Please verify all the information PRIOR to you doing anything.

Yes we are legal, and now we have to abide by the law. (To comply, we have to jump through hoops)

I guess it'll be worth it in the end.

(PS I have a now expired moped registration circa 2011-2012)

I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.

Respectfully.

Last edited:

Sorry you can wish it so, but there is no "mid point" between a moped and a bicycle. Florida law is pretty straight forward on that one.

From the new DMV directive:

II. GENERAL INFORMATION:

A. This procedure (RS-68) is applicable when a gas motor/engine kit has been installed on a
bicycle frame and the motor:
• Is not rated in excess of 2 brake horsepower
• Is not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 mph on level ground
• Displacement does not exceed 50ccs

NOTE: If all of the above applies, the vehicle would fall within the classification of a moped.
Therefore, it would be required to be registered, but not titled.

Section 316.46, Florida Statutes, states that no person may operate a moped that does not conform to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards relating to lights and safety and other equipment contained in Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Some people have interpreted the language to mean you must use a centrifugal clutch however it seems to indicate no manual clutch AFTER the motor is engaged to switch gears. So I think the kit clutch is ok to use.

"...drop the requirements" ???

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-68.pdf

In addition to the above info via the link, here is some additional info I just found out by calling number below:
Of course, this info. is for the benefit of our Gas motorized bicycle - Moped Community.

A. Division of Motorist Services Regional Office - (For vehicle inspection)
3200 Armsdale Road Suite 13
Jacksonville, FL 32218
(904) 924-1524

B. Vehicle (Safety) Inspection Requirements Highlights:
(will follow motorcycle guidelines)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...entsIndex.html

(see above Chapters 316.40 - 316.46)

Bullet Points:
Headlight
Tailight
WORKING Stoplight
Reflectors 1 Red? 2 Amber?
Horn
Rear View Mirror
Front and Rear Brakes
Throttle - Twist or Thumb
License Plate Light

From the conversation with the person over at The Division of Motor Services:
a. They will not go into a detailed inspection ie how many feet the headlight or taillight can be seen from, etc
b. He did not clarify what is acceptable safety equipment. ie Is Walmart bicycle headlamp ok?
c. He did say that you will be signing an affidavit stating that your vehicle meets the safety standards of "Title 49 of Florida Statutes Chapter 316"?
(his wiggle out clause)

Please verify all the information PRIOR to you doing anything.

Yes we are legal, and now we have to abide by the law. (To comply, we have to jump through hoops)

I guess it'll be worth it in the end.

(PS I have a now expired moped registration circa 2011-2012)

I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.

Respectfully.

So a coaster brake bike will not longer work, unless you add a front brake....if Walmart lights aren't good enough, then what.?...brake light, rig somekind of switch.?...horn powered by what.?..will an air horn commonly used on boats work.?..where do the reflectors go....bikes now have yellow on the pedals, red in rear & white in front....is that ok....Does anyone know of a supplier that will document the engine as 50cc or less and 2 hp or less?...I haven't found one yet. My local DMV said I was the first person to ask them and they don't have many answers...

Back