Rse reed help

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Charles Laypool, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Hello

I ordered myself a engine kit with a rse reed valve put it toghter on this strange bicycle called a FS Elite with this awsome rear end setup 1458932225810260038460.jpg it runs fine with stock intake on but when i install the reed valve i loss all power it idles and revs fine but when i go to ride nothing.....
    1458932146993-1237876943.jpg
    Im thinking i need a diffrent jet and also do i really need to drill holes in my piston?
    I mean ill do it if needed im just trying to make this bike more enjoyable
    (a.k.a no on and off powerband as i accelerate)
    i got the crank balanced, bigger head (figured more metal harder to overheat, no noticeable change in performance)
    Stock carb (black airfilter)

Any suggestions?

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

idles and revs but makes no power sounds like fuel delivery. is there a kink in your fuel line or anything like that, or is it just running way lean?

drill those holes in your piston, reed valves are just an intake restriction without them.

3. Alrite so iv drilled holes only three for now but no improvement

So lean as in not enough gas to air correct? Do i go lower or higher wit the jet? And my plugs a light gray

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

check for air leaks first. if you don't find any then raise the needle as high as it will go. if that doesn't do the job then you need a larger main jet or to make sure the jet isn't clogged.

5. Im replacing EVERY gasket because oil residew was all over my motor after. 5 min idle head bolts were lose i ordered a jet kit and some sheets of copper to make my own head and cylinder gaskets today im guna use a older motor and put the reed and modded piston on it and see where im at

6. HeadSmess

HeadSmess Well-Known Member

best head gasket material available...
    [​IMG]

butre likes this.
  7. U use tread tape only or do u use a gasket to

8. HeadSmess

just tape. twist it up into a string, make a ring out of it a bit bigger than bore, bolt head on.

raises compression by removing 1mm of gasket. gets rid of pocket in combustion chamber due to stock gasket. doesnt leak (if done properly).
    doesnt stick. cheap. easily replaced. the list goes on...

head gasket only, anything else...well, if you can get it to stay in place during assembly...sure :)

changing thickness of cylinder base gasket will affect port timings to some extent.

9. Hmmmm it seems like it will work more compression is a plus
    And is it weird that wen i got my engine it had 3 base gaskets? now has copper 1mm
    And do u know the max compression these can handle before blowing up?
    Cuz iv got a motor i custom made i sanded down head and top of cylinder so i dont need a gasket made a lighter piston and had the crank balanced now this psi gauge that screws in spark plug hole says 180 psi is that bad i mean i ride it all the time got it up to 56 mph once on a flat
    Im jus trying not to get a leg full of recycled aluminium finns

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  10. butre

butre Well-Known Member

180psi is a little high for stock bearings but I run with bushings in the 210 range

11. So iv drilled holes (3) in new piston
    Got a brand new engine and installed the piston and reed valve
    Still the same issue and when i raised needle it still idled but started to bog when i gave it the slightest of throttle and also at a hair of a turn it revs up i tryrd to ride and as soon as i let off the clutch it bogs down and stalls for the most part

Witch way do i go with the jet smaller or bigger

12. HeadSmess

sounds lean. probably can go bigger on the jet.

if you cant rev it when its got no load, ie, it cuts out...its lean.

if it doesnt mind full throttle but simply wont rev up, its rich.

checking the plug is best, start with a new one... if it stays white, lean. if it goes black... rich.

drilled holes...where?

ground back piston skirt on intake side so its completely clear of intake port at tdc plus a bit, say, a quarter inch?

part of the problem with modifying a new engine...you dont know if its the engine or the mods!

noone is going to say anything about the 56mph claims? :eek:

13. Im going back to stock piston and intake for now.

And yes 56mph
    With a 28t or 29t idk i had a friend machine it out of a old 44t
    It was a one time thing and i mostly did it because i saw this dude online got his bike in the 60mph zone so i want fast i was aiming for 60 but lack of mods and power i only got 56mph homemade mods take u far tho (sanded head, copper gaskets, expansion chamber, velocity stack) 11245524_10154348948495620_283373383770650611_o.jpg

14. I drilled the holes a little below the pistons rings on intake side one on top then two side by side below about a 1/4 inch wide each

Do you have a picture of how i should mod my piston

And i used the motor without the reed valve and it worked fine

15. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Will reed valves affect top speed cuz I had one that helped a lot with low end torque but about mid-high it seemed like I lost power

16. butre

butre Well-Known Member

there's no power to be made in reeds, it just helps with a smoother power band. power is in porting.

17. HeadSmess

reeds add restriction to the intake, unless the intake happens to be DESIGNED for reeds... just like the ones used in aprilla's, yz80's etc etc etc... HUGE reeds.

18. Iv been tinkering with this reed valve for a while now I just got it running right on this small 20 inch bike
    1461622647237-292445608.jpg
    I have middle and high but lost low end I have no clue what the problem is it used to not even work at all but I threw the Del carburetor on it
    1461622606463-243893711.jpg
    and all of a sudden it kind of worked I don't know how to tamper with this carburetor I was wondering if you guys would know what my problem is it also does this awfull spudering when i let off the throttle or pull in the clutch or both

19. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

I am guessing you are getting 58mph on THAT speedo.
    The smaller tires rotate faster at a given speed. Try a GPS?

Steve

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  20. I use gps android speedometer
    And i did it on a highway with my girlfriend in a car for a 100% speed reading
    the gauge is actually rpm
    And this bike does 37mph(20"tire with 36t sprocket)
    My other bike
    11245524_10154348948495620_283373383770650611_o.jpg
    This one does "56" mph not 58 (26"tire 29t sprocket) flat road wind behind me car in front to catch a draft
    Now if my previous post could be answered id appreciate it