Ryobi weedwacker engine

MikeL

Local time
3:34 AM
The head broke off of it so my friend brought a replacement echo gt-200r.. anyways I'm going to guess the engine is 25cc.. It needs some work like the recoil is messed up but I'm curious on how many people use a ryobi WW engine.

I haven't got my bike at but what I'm looking at is one I'm not sure what tire size would be best? mind you I'm 5'9" and 125Lb So I'm not too sure how a 25cc engine would do.

I'm also new to this so I'm still reading around here and figuring out

I should also note that the Ryobi has been sitting for at least 3 years I guess so I'm sure it's going to have to be cleaned up.

Last edited:
see the rubbish bin over there? please place your junk in there :) thankyou.

ryobi is :poop:

plain and simple. dont bother.

and once somethings gone wrong with it? :giggle:

Really? hmm seems like I was reading here that they are pretty good :eek:

Nevertheless do you think 25cc is a little undersized for my weight? 125 lb (56.7 KG)

25 c.c. is undersized for ANYTHING that's going to do more than spin a string to wack weeds.

Hmm I might be wrong around the engine size it might be 31cc I'd have to get the model number on Monday to be 100% sure.

but its still a ryobi :giggle:

cheap nasty junk that is next to impossible to mount to a bike, will do a better job at driving you mad than driving your bicycle, and seriously belongs on the shelf at kmart or costco or whatever shop was selling such a lousy inferior piece of equipment.

:)

only trying to save you from yourself here...

mount it in the bench vise, learn how it works, then learn how to beat it up with a hammer before it kills you in your sleep or now im just getting carried away :eek:

please explain " the head broke off"

as far as im aware, ryobi has a combined cylinder head thats held to the crankcase by a whole 2!!! highly impressive...screws? not bolts mind you, with real threads, but these dodgy things that resemble wood screws... self tappers prob. anyways.

dodgy dodgy dodgy! kill it!

you are being given it for a reason... look in the horses mouth this time!

Hi, MikeL
My first MB was a home built friction drive with a Ryobi weed wacker engine. I think they are usually 31cc and it's plenty of engine for your size. I got about 22 MPH out of it and I weigh 170 lbs.

The main problem with that engine is I could not figure out a good way to use a clutch with it because the clutch they use is pretty light weight and probably won't last long.

So, I made a frame to hold the engine and mounted the engine to the frame and found a BMX foot peg that had the right bore and threads (mine was 3/8" x 24 TPI) and threaded it directly to the end of the crank shaft. Then, I pivoted the frame up and down with a long handle so the foot peg, acting as a drive spindle, either contacted the tire or not. I used bungee cords to help hold it down on the tire. I think it's called a 'suicide clutch.'

I copied a design I saw posted here by one of the regulars who took some good pictures of his setup. Sadly, I can't recall his screen name at the moment. Maybe Mountain Man or Happy Valley... I'm getting old... I just can't remember right now.

Anyway, it worked great and I rode it that way for a year. I accidentally burned up the engine by letting it run against the tire on a long downhill section after I ran out of fuel. Without fuel, the engine had no lubrication and a ring broke.

I got another one off ebay for $20 and that engine is still going strong. I also got a couple of Ryobi 25cc 4 stroke engines and used them. They were great, too.

Eventually, I moved on to a BMP FD kit with a Robin EH035 35cc 4 stroke engine to get the convenience of the clutch and the ease of the 4 stroke engine. It's been a great way to go. Right now, I'm building a trike and I plan to use that same engine.

If you need any more info, please let me know. I thought it was a great way to start out in MB for no money at all since I had the engine laying around and I built the frame out of junk wood and aluminum I had in the shop.

I think some guys here have made MB with the engine and the clutch and they might have some good ideas for how to make the clutch last.

Good Luck!!!

Whoo a lot happens here when your sleep ;)

I just pulled the motor off the shaft.. It's a Ryobi 766R and it is 31 cc

I don't have a bike yet lol so I'm in no rush.. I would rather stick with 2 stroke if I can.. I know the Subaru engine is everyone's pick but I'm trying to go lightweight..

I MIGHT do a slight teardown of the motor today or tomorrow.. Interesting it's a 32:1 mix seems a bit much for the engine.. all my other stuff is 50:1

I'm not looking to go crazy with a build like some others here

The bike I'm just going to buy a road bike if walmart has one I already own a welder so that's good.

I know I will have some more questions.. Like when you had a spare engine around did you do a full teardown of it? This one has been sitting for a few years because I guess the recoil spring broke (I want to keep it if possible) Also the primer bulb has cracked but I'm sure those are easy to come by?

Back