Sabrewalt's GEBE Bike. First ride today.

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by sabrewalt, Oct 28, 2007.

1. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Here are pictures. I took my first ride today. Not bad at all. Tried the wicked hill that ate my Ebike controller and it does not do to bad but I did help it with some peddling. Having owned an underpowered Ebike, I have the advantage of already having learned how to "Listen to the bike and help it when it needs it. I will publish some speed tests soon. I don't know the top speed of the pedal gears but in the highest gears, I could not feel the road when I was on the flat.

I went back and forth for a LONG time regarding the RS 35 VS the Tanaka 32 and ended up choosing the RS35 and accepting it's limitations. Currently I am happy with that decision. Today was a BAD day for testing. BEAUTIFUL sunday afternoon weather and cars were FLYING everywhere!!!!!! and being ruder than normal. Finding a long stretch of traffic free was nearly IMPOSSIBLE. Even the side streets had people out acting CRAZY.

Bike needs some tweeking and a few accessories.. New seat. Better kickstand, mirrors and lights. Mount the kill switch. so on.

My first run when I chopped the throttle the belt loosend up and made a rattling noise. I noticed that belt tension arm had loosend. It did it several more times. I tightened the nut that holds the tension arm to the point that you cannot disengage it with the black knob. With the belt on it does not snap over into the "on" position and stay there. It has to be tightened. I had no more problems after that.

Sure was an easy install. I think the key is the bike you pick.

Attached Files:

2. smapadatha

smapadatha Guest

Sabrewalt's GEBE Bike.

That is a nice bike, but why did you route the belt over the "outside" of the tension bearing? The GEBE install instructions show it on the "inside".

Attached Files:

3. Butch

Butch Guest

Like Sam said, the belt should be on the inside of the bearing. The tension arm should move freely back and forth in order to keep tension on the belt. So reposition the belt, loosen the nut that holds the tension arm so it moves freely and you should be good to go.
  4. Butch

Butch Guest

Nice lookin bike. I just noticed that your throttle cable looks like it's stretched pretty tight. Does it acceleratew when making a sharp turn? If so you might want to move the motor forward a bit. Just a suggestion.
  5. Butch

Butch Guest

I'm still looking at your pictures. Moving the motor forward would also make it much easier to fill your gas tank. Been there, done that. I have the same motor on the GEBE system and it has run flawlessly for many miles. Just trying to help.
  6. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Oops. I will move that belt inside. Sitting here on the computer I dont see how that can tension it but I figured something was wrong. I have to work this morning but later today I will go tinker with it.

I have that motor back to prevent rubbing the belt on the brake. Lets see what happens when I move that belt inside.

The throttle was just thrown on there for a quick test ride. If I can't move the motor forward because of the brake, the throttle should be fine. I do see what you meen about the gas tank thought.
  7. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Ok Butch, Sam .. I see it. The tension arm scheme... Thanks.
  8. Torques

Torques Guest

With the belt on the correct side of the tensioner, you shouldn't have any clearance problem with the brakes if you move the motor to an upright position. This is true for most mountain bikes.
  9. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Appreciate it.

Thanks Torque. I will move that engine up.
  10. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Engine Reposition - Sabrewalt GEBE

Thanks for looking this kit over. This is repositioned with the holes provided by the GEBE kit. Does anybody think it needs to be higher. I can always drill a hole. I have not dressed the throttle cable or anythng just repositioned the engine and belt. Won't have time to ride it till later. Will take my GPS with me and measure some speeds.

Attached Files:

11. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

my limited-experience opinion: that looks much better, and the belt-path is now correct :)
  12. alesterfeind

alesterfeind Guest

Great looking bike Sabre! Congratulations!
  13. larymor

larymor Guest

Way to go Bro!!
  14. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Good deal man, you could have been replacing your belt a little early w/ the previous config...
  15. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Made a little video of the engine start

On my RS35 GEBE kit. Pretty much first pull unless it is icy cold.. then it is 2 pulls.

Video is 16 MB.

Then click on enginestart.AVI. You can either download it or play it on your computer depending on how ur player is setup.
  16. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Speed test today.

Did a speed test today.

The topspeed on a flat is 28 mph BUT. It was repeatable over and over at 26.5 MPH. IE combination of my weight/bikes weight and engine configuration seemed "comfortable" to the engine and could probably run all day there.

I am not comfortable at that speed however I looked up from my GPS and just started down the road and brought it to the speed I like to do fast cruise at and everything settled out at around 22 mph when I looked back down. That NEED for speed may increase as I get comfortable but at my age, I doubt it.

Long mild hills don't slow it down from that at ALL. I do honk the throttle a bit on the hills but that is intuitive and almost subconcious. The wicked hills(We have two in our town), it slows down to about 19mph without pedel but you can kind of tell that you ought to pedel a bit up the bad hills.

The other cool thing is that if you start out up a hill from a dead stop and get the bike up to 12 or so mph from combo of pedal and engine, you can then stop pedeling and this thing will accelerate up the hill till it finds it's happy place and between 19 and 21mph depending on the hills.

I am pleased with the kit. I actually got to use it in a "no choice" situation. Somebody sawed the catalytic converter off of my truck and I had no help, so I just loaded the GEBE up in the back of the truck and took it to the repair shop and then just motored back.
  17. BTB Wild

BTB Wild Guest

Nice SABERWALT, I'd install a back-up safety strap thingy........and watch the term " wicked" hills. Your 'wicked" hill is called a slope in these parts. I've pedaled my arse off in 3rd gear ( 21 speed mountain bike) till I come to a near stand-still, clutch rattling like moracca, dismount the bike and walk er up the last 50-100 yards. :yuck::p
  18. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

Well, The angle of the specific hill is pretty steep and if it kept going like it does in your neck of the woods, it would slow down to a stop as well. I am sure I was enjoying the momentum from the speed run up on the flat. IE we have very short lived hills here. I named my hill "wicked" when it burned up my Ebike controller on a climb without peddle assist. It's all we got here.... SORRY... It sucks to be you!!!! :grin:
  19. BTB Wild

BTB Wild Guest

Apology extended SABRE......any hill that burns up a bike is " wicked" indeed.
    BTW, I want to inspect the clutch over the winter but don't have a clue of dissassembly ( tanaka 33 cc) My thought was to perhaps install a second clutch assembly while restoring the first one and continue this rotation as necessary. I'm wondering if there isn't an exploding diagram or detailed info on removing and re-installing the clutch? Sadly, I believe my clutch may be beginning to wear.:(
  20. sabrewalt

sabrewalt Guest

You know I was kidding!!! this is flat country pretty much.. Perfect for this kind of bike.. I was wondering about that little tiny clutch. I imagine that riding style and terrain will have a LOT do do with how long that little thing will last. Wide open and 5mph=bad I imagine. Is the clutch part of the engine or part of the GEBE stuff??