Saddle worth mentioning (pics too)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by lowracer, Jan 27, 2011.

1. lowracer

lowracer Member

I got a new saddle in the mail yesterday that I have been eagerly awaiting to install on one of my two MB's. I have always heard that Brooks leather saddles have been the way to go since the beginning of time but never owned one & they are very pricey. Brooks also only makes one saddle that gets this wide & its $190. I saw on eBay a seller with a Brooks clone made in Taiwan by Gyes & decided to give it a try for $69.00 (search: Beach Cruiser Leather)
    It is very well constructed (thick leather, heavy duty hardware & springs). I got it installed, adjusted & took it for a test spin.
    Wow, this thing is about 10" wide & more comfortable than any saddle I have ever ridden & its not broken in yet as leather saddles will form to your rump over time.
    I like the retro look as well, but take a look at the pics & see what you think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

2. Htown

Htown Member

cool bike. Cool saddle. Be interested to know how long it takes to break in. That is a pretty cool fork on the front of your bike.
  3. lowracer

lowracer Member

I've heard some folks use a product called Brooks Proofide to help the saddle break in & condition the leather. The underside of the saddle has a water resistant coating to minimize water splash from the tires. Leather doesn't like getting wet.
  4. professor

professor Active Member

5. pucksterpete

pucksterpete Member

6. lowracer

lowracer Member

7. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

8. wbuttry

wbuttry Member

9. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

I got a "vintage look" cruiser seat-- vinyl and padded-- and it was falling apart in the first 50 miles. It is good enough that I can continue to use it for now, but when I replace it, it will be with an all-leather spring seat.

I actually have one SOMEWHERE in all my junk in the house, but since it isn't where I thought it was, I don't know where it actually is. The leather is trashed and the metal is rusted, but I'd still like to try to find it and have a go at replacing the leather
  10. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

... I've been looking at the Brooks Saddle website, and dang do they have some saddles!

I think I'm going to have to save up for the "real deal" instead of compromising for a cheaper one:

Brooks B135
  11. sunsetboy

sunsetboy Member

the sheldon brown saddle

That real man saddle requires an additional 50cc blood sample for a saddle made of rock. LOL!