SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
Happy valley, I don't know what the laws are here in Gunnison UT. But most of the peace officers here know me. If I get pulled over and WARNED of a law or ticketed I'll just sign and ride!!!

Hey John, The 80cc isn't really 80ccs you know, moore like 66cc. The problem with this is the carb it's the same for all the ccs. There is nothing here to look at, every thing around her is the same, all the cows look the same and all the sheep look the same. L.O.L. I don't seem to have a problem with the law enforcment here either , but you never know!

Stopping at 35mph on a bicycle in any condition is a challenge! I've been lucky SO far. Just a few broken bones, but a lot of stitches. All on bigger and faster bikes ( on & off road ) The major problem is the other guy, they don't see the biker!!!

I once had a Honda 80cc Elite. 35 felt like the best speed for it. If I was in a hurry I could go 45, but then it started rattling. I wouldn't recommend going top speed on ANY vehicle. I've had a 250cc Honda Rebel style bike (actually a Tank) - I could get top speed of 70-80, but it didn't feel safe at all! I thought I'd be riding on interstates, but I preferred to take back roads.

The Honda 80 was a lot more stable at 35, bigger body, frame, etc. Bicycles aren't made to go faster than 20 average. Also, someone in a car coming from right will probably think you're going as slow as a bike, and turn while you're coming right at them!

There are good reasons for some of these laws.

a very good point John

Also, someone in a car coming from right will probably think you're going as slow as a bike, and turn while you're coming right at them!

a very good point made John
and as we know
this seems to happen so often
on a long day of riding
I expect it at least once !!!

as I try to keep that THING in one piece !!

good to keep the body in one piece also !!

Hey John, I agree the laws are good, safety reasons among others. Bikes were not made to go as fast as we take them. But I started riding when I was 11 years old. My starter bike was a Honda trail 70. (about 1971) scary is a sandy river bed! with those fat small tires and low speed it was hard to control (I learned to fall with out getting hurt...to bad) I moved up in bike size 125 Yamaha enduro , 360 Yamaha mx, 400 suzuki mx, a lot of others in between (and at the same time, had 6 dirt bikes at once) When I got my 83 suzuki GS 550 EX bullet bike (in 1984, I did some mods) speedo went to 140, I had it back to 0- pegged APROX- 165 mph. Let me say that 90 to 165 feels the same!!! ( you just hope nothing goes wrong) I got to say go slow, it's safer...I can't!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to see if I CAN build it to go 50mph. Does not mean I will drive it like a crazed maniac!!!!

Boot scooting boogie

Bikes arent designed to go faster than 20 mph? Tell that to the frenchies racing in that TOUR DE CROTCH race they hold every so often! I think they might get a laugh out of that.:giggle:

Our regular American sold Every day Joe bike is not tuned or set up for such a task (over 30 MPH). (exception may be PALO ALTO) I'm a mountain bike rider, It is a little bit different than road bikes. The cost of a French, swedish Or German bike is to much $$!!(for me) I used to play a little with road bikes, but I decided I need something moore versatile (on & off road) Besides, They would not allow a motorize bikes in the TOUR DE CROTCH? Or the TOUR DE FRANCE. I already know they have broken many records in distance and speed!!!!(The frenchies-I meant)

... you may wish to hit 50 mph someday
but here's the question

what do you think to be a Safe Top Speed for motor bikes ??
if your kid was 16 -- what should the law hold them to ?? ...
Mountainmain - that is THE question and there is no easy answer.

cspaur13, who is 14, did a stunning job at staying on his bike when his engine locked up at 30 mph (Thread: What happened when your HT seized)

The whole competency thing comes into play.

This discussion should presume competent riding skills, although I suspect that cspaur13 probably was 'expert' in the incident that he described.

Back