SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
One thing to remember,, if a cop sees you going 20mph, he pays little attention, go 35 or MORE, & he gets your attention. If you have a wreck at speeds like this, do you have any insurance that will cover you on your motorbike ? Better check. If you run into a car, or hit a pedestrian,,, will you have insurance ? I doubt it ! I think that laws will be changing, soon, & there may be an outright ban on some of these motored bikes, in some states.
Many riders here have converted WallyWorld bikes, which are usually unsafe to begin with. THEN,,,, add a motor & go as fast as you can ??? Do what you want but if you want speed , get a scooter or motorcycle.

My bike is a WallyWorld special but most components were changed including both wheels and I've been dealing with bikes long enough I know what warning signs to look for. I tested it extensively on nasty off-road downhill runs so I know it'll survive being motorized. 550 miles so far.
Not all their bikes are unsafe. They have to meet certain CPST so they don't get sued by dozens of mothers for their kids skinned knees. Things like weak single walled wheels are common to inexpensive bicycles and are easily upgraded. My frame is simple for a dual suspension and has held up well so I have no complaints.

But I have to agree. A lot of our fellow motoredbikers who like to push the limits on road and treat their MB like a motorcycle or moped are going to attract a lot of negative attention. Ride it like a Motor Assisted Bike like you're supposed to and the authorities won't care. I personally don't agree with running these things to their limits to keep up with traffic as I don't see how it can be safe to do so. One of these times when you're keeping up with traffic you're going to encounter road debris or a nice big hole in the asphalt then you're a hood ornament because you were playing with the big machines ill-equipped. Mopeds have a couple hundred lbs of steel and components that maintain stability and reliability in order to mix with traffic. Our machines are too light for that. Threads like the "who's got the fastest MB" kinda make me angry because we're just advertising to the net that our bikes are dangerously fast... grrr... /end ramble.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't cruse at 40 to 45 mph here in Dallas Tx you will become a hood ornament or one of those bugs stuck in a big trucks grill. I try not to travel on roads that have a speed limit over 45 mph. There is something to be said for keeping up with the flow of traffic. The bike trails aren't really an option here, No Motorized Vehicles 35 mph bare minimum in traffic.

Hi not trying to be smart here, but I have read here a lot of people saying they could cruse at 45-50 mph that's 72-80 kmph .
What sort of motor have these people got???? I ride a 48cc HT. I have done as much as I can to it to make it go as fast as possible. I'm guessing my top speed flat strap Motor screaming its head off ready to self destruct would be about 50 kmph-31 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent points brought up by Esteban, SirJakesus and others...
Hoping to bring some awareness here to MB riders

If people think of us as a bicycle
I think that's what we are all shooting for MOTORIZED BICYCLE
our actions should not be much different than a bicycle.
MB mph while in bike lane - yes, passing others - with no insurance
mph while riding on the street - if over 30 mph is that a motorized bicycle ?

Just some food for thought --
Good MB riding goals should be set and known...

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Safe top speed

I'M riding a GEBE R/S35 setup.I cruise in the 25-28mph range (as advertised).This speed allows you cover you're commute nicely,not too far behind a car in typical in town traffic.My top speed down a moderate grade is 36 mph which is starting to get a little hairy with no protective gear.I would say 40mph would be my top speed I'm comfortable with.I would like more power for hill climbing bu I can still do 22-24mph up said hill with a few pedal strokes here and there.I'm careful becaue I do not have a drivers license and I don't want trouble with the AZ. 20mph clause/rule.20mph just don't cut it.I think 30mph for a motorized bicycle is about perfect.....Peace

Excellent points brought up by Esteban, SirJakesus and others...
Hoping to bring some awareness here to MB riders

If people think of us as a bicycle
I think that's what we are all shooting for MOTORIZED BICYCLE
our actions should not be much different than a bicycle.
MB mph while in bike lane - yes, passing others - with no insurance
mph while riding on the street - if over 30 mph is that a motorized bicycle ?

Just some food for thought --
Good MB riding goals should be set and known...

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Yes, what he said, and Esteban and SirJakesus too on the "fastest MB....etc" threads.

Mountainman asked what speed ar you comfortable with, a contingent question is what speed the law in your state is comfortable with. Where I live the law states a top obtainable speed not to exceed 30 and a top operating speed of 20.
More is asking to be regulated or banned and we are just an unfortunate incident or two, attendent with loads of negative publicity, from making that happen.

I have no problem with people pushing the limits of the MB when nobody else in present say on a deserted back road but they're really gambling with physics and the state in doing so. As far as I'm concerned these things should be allowed to be torquey enough to pop wheelies with but they're just too light to be safe much above 30mph. You don't have heavy wheels, tires or a frame that can withstand an avoidance maneuver at high speed. Most motored bikers have very little or no suspension on their bikes which makes the problem even worse. The faster you travel the longer distance your bike is hopping with no contact to the ground when you ride over uneven pavement.
I live in the state where even motorcyclists aren't required to wear helmets so I believe your personal safety is your own business. I just don't want to see MB's outright banned from the roads because some moron caused a major accident with one by trying to pretend he was riding a motor vehicle and not a bicycle.

I like to keep it at around 20mph tops. Going faster then that on a bicycle with a motor mounted is scary to say the least. Especially when you look down and see the chain and have thoughts of that chain slipping into the wheel and locking it up. That's my biggest concern.

Last edited:
Esteban - glad that you have brought that up
if we are wizzing by others at very high speeds
wonder how long - until some or many - GET HURT BADLY ?
in time that would effect the MB laws greatly..

This is absolutely correct. If these things start becoming really popular, I can guarantee you that eventually they will be outlawed altogether. That is the law will read, "No bicycle with an aftermarket motor mounted shall be allowed on public roads regardless of motor size."

Back