SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
I like to keep it at around 20mph tops. Going faster then that on a bicycle with a motor mounted is scary to say the least. Especially when you look down and see the chain and have thoughts of that chain slipping into the wheel and locking it up. That's my biggest concern.

hey bikemotor -- I am glad that you are thinking (safe) - things such as stated can and do happen at times. I was the owner of a bicycle shop many years ago - saw many a customer come in after crashing - with many different reasons for said accidents.
Here in San Diego County we have some road POTHOLES - that have just about knocked me off of my MB. Just one of MANY THINGS that we have to be on the lookout for - while on MBs..

Hitting pothole at 40 to 50 mph -- no thanks - Mountainman

Last edited:
I totaly agree with Bikemotor every time I ride I'm thinking about that chain and what havoc it could wreak at 20-25 mph (plenty fast enough!) should it decide to fly off the sprocket due to any number of causes such as a blade of grass from where my neighbor mowed the grass today! or perhaps the plastic tensioner wheel decides to self destruct Yikes!! I've only had mine running for about a week and have put 35 miles on it so far mostly in my own neighborhood trying to build confidence in it before I really put it to the road. I did ride it to work the other day a commute of about 5 miles each way, so slowly the confidence is building.:D

I think the best speed is dicatated by traffic, road conditions, your bike's condition and where you feel safe. For me around 20mph usually.

yes Al -- that 20mph -- seems like the sweet spot while riding here also

I was coasting down off this small mountain the other morning
it's around 4 or 5 miles -- down hill
my speed get's up there
at the bottom of the mountain
spot where I pull over to engage my engine
noticed rear disk brake had lost one allen bolt
and had changed position

would not wish to see that disk blow up at high speed
slow it down a little Mountainman
and -------- Ride That Thing

i ride bicycles frequently esp. before my MB but still pretty regularly and i can pedal pretty comfortably around 18-28 mph ... the wind can be a little problematic here ... so i feel pretty good in about the 25-35 mph range ...

I ride to work sometimes, about five miles one way. It takes about 25-30 minutes, which is fine with me. On a heavy traffic day, driving my car to work takes longer.

I like speeds of 20 mph, which is very easy with twin Mitsubishi engines. I don't like to play in traffic but accelerating to 35 mph for short bursts seems okay.

After getting some new tires, now 40+MPH is easier now and rides safe, and I get used to it and want to go faster sometimes but can't, hehehe

safe speed is all you. "A bike is only as safe as is the rider" I have gone up to 48mph on a downhill mt. bike but don't want to go that fast on my motored bike, for that I like about 30 to 35 tops.

interesting --- safe top MB speed was coming in average of 25.3 mph

now it seems our average has picked up a little to 27.5 mph

so -- at what safe MB speed are some of you other riders riding ?

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

This is a very debatable subject as it all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you arent a very confident rider you may stick to 30mph and under, if you know you have a solid safe bike and you have been riding bikes all your life some people go like 50-60mph! It also depends on the road as well, if its a straight flat quiet road ill open it up and get up to about 35mph but on the normal streets i do about 25mph. I guess is also depends on what your engine will give out too haha.

Back