SAFE TOP SPEED FOR MB -- is ???

What do you feel is the maximum SAFE speed for a motorized bicycle?

• 20 or less

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • 25 or less

Votes: 39 12.9%
  • 30 or less

Votes: 74 24.5%
  • 35 or less

Votes: 62 20.5%
  • 40 or less

Votes: 37 12.3%
  • Any speed you can reach...

Votes: 74 24.5%

• Total voters
This is a very debatable subject as it all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you arent a very confident rider you may stick to 30mph and under, if you know you have a solid safe bike and you have been riding bikes all your life some people go like 50-60mph! It also depends on the road as well, if its a straight flat quiet road ill open it up and get up to about 35mph but on the normal streets i do about 25mph. I guess is also depends on what your engine will give out too haha.

Ok -- let's straighten this out a little brendonv

sounds like you are stating 25 to 35 mph for a safe top speed

do we got you right ?

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

it's very cool to see some responsible discussion of a very important topic.

the feds say 48cc/single speed/30mph, and i personally LOVE it as doable.

but, as a few here have stated, what accelerates must eventually decelerate (and sometimes by surprise)...wheels, tires, BRAKES!!! there are some great budget options that make MB'ing a safe adventure...drum front is a universal upgrade that makes the vehicle TONS safer, 105G steel wheels is another minumum to consider.

please, *never* do a sustained 25-30mph without both F & R brakes of some sort!

and, even tho ya may not agree with the politics of safety gear, DOT helmets are a good idea and a great way to impress the cops when they see you and ponder pulling you over.

MB's, in my mind, aren't about keeping up with traffic, but rather in working around it...if i come upon a backup, i kill the engine, legally bicycle my way past the gridlock, then restart and motor off into the sunset :cool:

Last edited:
Ok -- let's straighten this out a little brendonv

sounds like you are stating 25 to 35 mph for a safe top speed

do we got you right ?

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

That is my safe speed yes but it doesnt mean it should be everyones, what i tried to state is everyones is different but that it mine yes.

I was over 40 today on a couple of long, slight downhill grades....didn't feel too comfortable. I feel very comfortable at 25 to 30...pretty comfortable up to about 35.

My commute is a mostly winding 32 miles. I almost never exceed 45 when going through a corner that is posted 45.

Once I got a few tanks of gas through "Gizmo", I took it out on Southwest Blvd and tried to see how fast it would go.

I tried, I really did. The little one lung 70 screamed and pulled faster and faster, but around 25 MPH the machine started to vibrate an incredible amount. I managed to get to an indicated 26.9 MPH before I decided I was courting road rash. The engine seemed like it was spinning MUCH faster than it was supposed to, but that may be my imagination. I have a 44 tooth sprocket on my Trek mountain bike. Most of the time when riding, I keep it right around 20-22 MPH. Fast enough for me!

-Mark

i always go wide open.

w00t!!!!!! WFO!!!

At least someone here isn't scared to ride these things, hehehe

The more you ride anyway, the more comfortable and use to it you get.

After a while, 30 feels slow, and you WANT to go faster, like 40+ and as long as you have a good bike with GOOD brakes on a smooth road, it's tempting to go faster. :devilish:

Crazy Riding,
ZnsaneRyder

Oops. This thread is about "Safe" Top Speed. To answer that, I'd need to know - Safe as compared to what? Everything involves risk. It's recently come to my attention that growing older is hazardous to one's health.

Back