Safety Safety & Maintainence Tips from MB.c's Members

my only advice is to wear a full face motorbike helmet. its safer and much more fon than a simple bicycle helmet. the only drawback is you doesn't hear the actual sound of the engine. but that can turn into an adv. as you keep going faster without even noticing.
NB: don't use a tinted visor as i don't see a **** thing at night until is illuminated.

Bicycle clips......

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4434/bicycleclipsls5.jpg

When wearing long pants on your bike always wear bicycle clips to keep the cuffs out of the way of anything that might catch them. It might be a little difficult to find a set like the vintage ones in the picture, but there are modern equivalents around.
Wear proper footwear while riding too. Thongs, flip-flops, sandals are absolutely no use to you if you have to put a foot down in an emergency situation. I usually wear a lightweight pair of hiking boots when out on any of my bikes/trike. If nothing else they're comfortable if I end up having walk or push my bike home.
And finally, Wear your helmet!

Good advice Sianelle. I didn't realize something like that was out there. I actually was thinking to use sweatbands around my ankles or something else elastic to hold them tight.

Probably already mentioned but always use an inline fuel filter. I didn't realize that there is a ton of **** in a new fuel tank and my filter caught it all.

i totally agree with you skyliner. but i installed one after some 20 miles but the filter is still gathering pieces from the tank.

Does the 2 litres tank has a filter before the shut off fuel valve??

I've actually removed the shut off valve fuel filter because it got clogged with what looks like rust flakes. I did blow out the fuel tank before install with an air hose but the fuel must have loosened up the rust or whatever inside the tank. I'm now running two fuel filters inline on the carb fuel line. The first one is just a metal screen to catch the large chunks and the smaller one is a paper filter. If the first filter clogs, I can easily remove it on a ride and be ok which is better than if the valve filter clogs.

Two tips:
1:Since we ride along the edge of the road, watch through the back windows of the parked cars looking for people inside who may open the drivers door into your path.
2: When cars pass you on your left, keep an eye on their front wheel as they pass and you will instantly Know if they are going to turn across your path. (This trick has saved me a number of times.)

Here's a newbe one. No matter how old or young you are,if you haven't ridden a bicycle in a while,get used to riding a bicycle BEFORE you hop on your motoredbike.
Yea,this is a no brainer,but I would hate to see someone's hobby get thrown in the trash because of lack of bicycle riding skills.
That also goes with anyone that wants to ride your bike. You better be absolutely sure he/she knows how to ride.
It would be nice too if you can do some tricks on a bicycle. Anything at all like bunny hopping or stopping on a dime balancing your bike or even doing wheelies cause the more balanced you are the safer you'll be on a motoredbike.
And don't do tricks on a motoredbike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back