Sasha's Run - charity ride

Discussion in 'Races, Events & Group Rides' started by JemmaUK, Jul 25, 2008.

1. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Hi all

I am planning, with a friend, to get over to the US and do a huge circle ride for charities (so far undecided). The route is detailed below. I am going to need support from people in the US, sponsorship and such. I have an engine, a gebe 32cc which I can have UPS'd across to the states and we are planning to build up bitsa bikes from donated parts (one of the two being a trike). If anyone is interested in riding with us or can help out - let me know

A possible route would be..

New york down to Tampa, Florida.

Then from there across the bottom to San Diego (via Texas )

From SD up to Seattle and across from there to Boston..

From Boston, final leg dahn sahrth again to NY (start location) - a little tiny squirt of a distance - 218 miles by which time we'll probably never want to see a MB let alone ride one ever again)

A total mileage of 8061 give or take which at 180 MPG gives us a total fuel useage for my GEBE/Schwinn of around 45-46 Gallons of fuel and a total required riding time in hours (assuming 22mph average) of 366.41 hours or 46 days assuming a solid 8 hour riding day...

I must be bloody mad!!!

Jemma xx

2. Zev0

Zev0 Member

Certainly sounds like a great adventure. If you pass through Arizona on your way from Texas to San Diego you may garner lots of company. There are quite a few of us in the Phoenix area.
  3. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Jemma, the south coastal routes in Mississippi and Louisiana are till messed up from Katrina. Not too mention, northwest of N'Awlins there are a couple of really looooong causeways - one is just over 26 miles, and they are just about the only routes across that are fully open - and it is all freeway (closed to bicycles). You might want to think about cutting north from the Floida pahandle, and coming across on the state highways that parallel interstate 20 - there are a number of places to cross the Mississippi river on state roads. If you do, let me know - I'm about a quarter mile south of interstate 20 in Shreveport.

I've driven the coastal roads since hurricane Katrina, and in Louisiana at least, they are a huge mess. Texas has the best state road system in the country - wide, wide shoulders, fast, and open to bicycles. Quite a lot of them are wider, faster, better built and of a higher quality than what most of the world calls freeways. I've driven all over the US, and in about 30 foreign countries over the years.

Sounds like a great adventure, indeed. Wish I had a good trike, I'd ride with you some portion of the route. Maybe I will have, by the time you are ready to roll.
  4. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

The road situation is something I need to know - the last thing I want is to get police harassment for something I dont know about.

I am assuming that a freeway is the equivalent of our Motorways like the M1 - however in the UK certain of the A-roads (multilane) are closed to my sort of machine as well.

So what is a 'highway' exactly and where am I allowed to go or not as the case may be...

thanks for the info, and you are more than welcome to ride with us when we get there..

Jemma xx
  5. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

What is referred to as a highway here would be the equivalent to a Motorway in the UK. Any highways with an "I" designation (Interstate), motoredbikes would not be allowed on. Many other limited-access highways also fall into that category. They would be the equivalent to many of the "A" roads in Britain. One thing you will also not see here in the colonies are many roundabouts. Oh they are to be found, but in decidedly small numbers and none like the proverbial "dustbin lid" style I've seen so many times in the UK.
  6. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

You definately have support here in the Pacific NorthWest!!! My humble abode, and certainly my shop and tools are open for you to do maintenance, repairs, etc. I'd like to ride along with ya' for a bit if possible. Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean 'Bitsa' bikes? What is that? Is that something I might be able to help out with?
  7. vegaspaddy

vegaspaddy Member

hi uncle punk

to help you out with the lingo BITSA

in this case translated means BITS OF BICYCLES, meaning lots of spare parts...
  8. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

another term for a 'bitsa' would be a scratchbuild. Getting bits and pieces and making them into something that works, although it might not be so great looking.

As of this point in time I am seriously considering me and J going it alone. I have been accused by various people of doing this for my own profit and that is horribly insulting to me, doubly so given the situation I am in right now with S being so ill.

I will ask for promisorys of donations or sponsorship alone as I have already done. Some monies will be needed up front for costs and such but that will be documented.

I also dont like being accused of ignoring people when they send a PM in a different timezone at something like 3am my time.
  9. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Sorry for the rant *sigh* things are getting a little on top of me

re the bitsa bikes - spare parts would be the thing and bits like good brake pads and just whatever you have floating around really...

I've not had any problems with spokes or wheels or anything since i started riding - 500 miles and so far I have had one flat tyre and thats it! - and that was my own fault for bending the valve too far when I was pumping the rear tyre.

Any assistance is gratefully received..

my contact email is - what would be nice is to get a list of people who want to help with facilities etc and their locations so I can plan a rough route between them :)

Jemma xx
  10. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

Looks like I may be your travel route, and can be "on call" for assistance if you are in need of help. If you look on a map, I am not far from the Route 31/Route 95 interchange in the middle of New Jersey. PM me and I can give you specifics. Hopefully, you won't be needing anything so early into your journey, but it would be nice to know you can call someone if your engine pukes a piston or something!
  11. motoschwinn

motoschwinn Guest

If you aren't on Jemma's route dig into your pockets. She has a Paypal account for this.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

Jemma -- not sure if I could keep up with you with my top speed being 22 mph - but - would enjoy seeing you in San Diego.. Would like to invite a news reporter friend of mine to give you an interview -- John Mattes from Fox 6 News.. If you get a chance - look John's resume up on the internet.. One interesting guy - who - if we could get interested in an interview - would bring much notice for your cause - be great for MBs also.. I would also like to donate a little $ for some gas.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman
  13. When your in the Boston Area, I can see about getting you some sponsorship... I work for a large multi national company and I'll talk to one of the marketing people..... They may ask that you put a logo on your bikes or give you a t-shirt or something like that....

In Boston area, careful of the roads we've got potholes you can see China through!!!

I forgot to add that Route 1, which might seem like a promising route to and around Boston is closed to bikes of all sorts.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  14. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

.let me know when u come past tampa ill jump rite in for the rest of the route.cant help too much on the money thing tho.
  15. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

Hi all,

I have just emailed both Staton (they do trikes) and GEBE - might as well have the two commercial heavyweights involved (and since I do ride a GEBE the comparison between the two would be good).

Comfortable shoes - Corporate sponsorship would be faaaantastic, its exactly what we are looking for. T-shirts shouldnt be a problem or I was thinking of a in frame panel for all the logos of sponsoring companies.

Eastwood - you are more than welcome to join in - the more the merrier and the safer - two girls travelling alone is probably not the best idea.

Mountainman - let me get a hold of some nitro - sure I can help your machine along lol - seriously, I can hold that speed on mine without trouble - you'd be more than welcome (and more to the point 35mph on a hardtail machine *hurts* after a while). Re the media coverage - Im definately interested, however it would be me on my own since my co-rider doesnt want to get involved with the media etc - she has her reasons - contact me by email and I will tell you more.

Uncle_punk - thank you for the offer. if people could tell me the towns they are in and where they are I can start putting a more detailed route together :)

anyone who wants to get involved with either monies, facilities or parts/fuel/oil and other materiel - my email address is

If you could detail:-

what you are donating - or in the case of those offering a place to rest/repair your location (town or general location will do for now) so as I can work out a more detailed route.

thanks all in advance

Jemma xx
  16. mojoruss

mojoruss Guest

Jemma, what you have planned is just stellar... I have no bike (got stolen) no job and no place to stay at the moment, but I can offer you my humblest admiration and support.... You go girl!!!!
  17. JemmaUK

JemmaUK New Member

Once bitten, twice shy...

I havent been around, for a few reasons, primary Police harrassment, health reasons (doctors playing spot-the-brain-tumour, or bobbing for Myesthenia Gravis) and other fun things - including serious depression.

I am starting to get back on my feet and starting to think again about doing this - if anyone is still around who would like to give me suggestions and support it would be received.

I know I can get a years driving licence transfer document for US driving, since I did it before (the joys of a slushbox with a case full of neutrals should be impossible, but the US managed it, not to mention the Plymouth Voyager stuck on 30 degrees port rudder...). The problem is that I dont know what the situation is because I have a car licence, even though my original licence covered a learner plate on mopeds up to 125cc.

I have the green & white bike still - which was good for 189mpg @ 35mph last time it was running - I will need to do some work on the bike - its a backpedal brake & I want to fit up caliper type brakes, duel brake lever, lockable throttle (think a simple cruise control) and few other bits.

If anyone is interested in supporting this let me know.

The background to it is fairly simple, but not a happy story. I met Sasha around may 2008 - we met online and got on well - at the time she was in the final stages of terminal cancer and my health was on tenterhooks as well. we became close and I was organising to go out to see her when I got the news that she had died in Sept 2008. Originally from the UK the NHS had treated her extremely poorly in my opinion, so the family had moved to the US. They are now back in the UK. We are not in contact, sadly everything she prophesied came to pass..

I came up with the idea of this ride as a way to combine helping people live, and die, as well as they can with this disease and to raise money to help scientists find ways of treating it, with doing something that I enjoy. Not to mention bringing these machines and their eminent efficiency (when they arent burping up neat petrol) to a wider audience.

This is not a game, and this is not a joke for me. If monies can be raised and problems surmounted I fully intend to do this and complete it, although whether the RetroEagle will still be rideable by the end of it is anyones guess. My personal opinion will be it will be like the 'axe of my ancestors' - there will probably be a few original bits left of it, but others will have passed by the wayside.