SBP Heavy duty front freewheel Blowout

pucksterpete

Local time
3:32 PM
Riding up a good size hill yesterday, felt the crank arms starting to rub on the chainring and this is what I found.

running a SBP HD Shifter Kit, only a few hundred miles on the engine w/kit.

Pete

Attachments

• DSC06528.jpg
    DSC06528.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 831
  • DSC06527.jpg
    DSC06527.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 728
  • DSC06526.jpg
    DSC06526.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,162
  • DSC06525.jpg
    DSC06525.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 865
You pays your money and you takes your chances. Something tells me your bike is putting out more than the stock HT 1-2 horsepower.

Human beings can put out about 1/3 horsepower steadily, and about 3 horsepower in a short surge. Bicycle components are designed to tolerate that level of power reliably. Exceed it by a little, and you're probably fine (although things will wear out faster). Exceed it by a lot, and stuff breaks.

You can console yourself with the fact that a conventional freewheel would have given up long before this one did. And the White Industries unit might be rebuildable, depending on what part failed and what was damaged in the process. The bearing cartridge in there is an industrially standard part.

Chalo

Riding up a good size hill yesterday, felt the crank arms starting to rub on the chainring and this is what I found.

running a SBP HD Shifter Kit, only a few hundred miles on the engine w/kit.

Pete

Pete,SBP does have a 6 month warranty on the HD freewheel.

Thanks, I purchased the jackshaft over a year ago. I spoke with Jim from SBP, he offered to rebuild the bearing. I have to upload some pics of the housing that the bearing sits in, the teeth of the housing are all chewed up. Probably best just to purchase another.

Pete

The pocket bike freewheel I'm using has runout that I can measure with a ruler!:sick:

I'm gonna buy this SBP HD freewheel anyway.:whistle:

Just got the new order today, here in France, all is good. After talking with White Industries about how often the HD Freewheel bearing should be serviced this is what they told me: "Thank you for your inquiry. To be honest, the application of the Sick freewheels is different from the standard freewheels we manufacture so it may be that you need to replace them more often since they are under more load that a regular freewheel. Even with that being said, we typically see people starting to replace bearings about once every three to four years. If you are riding in really wet and muddy conditions, then expect to replace the bearing more frequently."

All is back to normal and working. Just will take more care of the bearing this time.

Pete

Back