Jackshaft SBP Shift Kit

TheMotheMan

Local time
11:14 PM
Just wondering how the more experienced guys feel about this shift kit?

I have watched some vids on Youtube on them and they seem to perform well, but I would like some input on this. Also, being new to this I am not sure but with the twist throttle, I'll be stuck with either a thumb shifter on that side for the rear or just using my mid gear sprocket in the front and a twist shift on the left bar for the rear when I'm peddling. Am I correct on this?

I placed my order yesterday at dax, I'm excited for this thing to arrive, though I know i'm probably a week or more away from it, I've started fixing up my mountain bike, she needs new cables, housings, brakes, mirror, lights front and back, a new seat, apparently my butt has gotten bigger over the years...I rode it for 10 min yesterday and I'll tell ya I won't be doing that again...It's an exit only. But I am very excited about this endeavor, however the better half thinks I am just a big kid.......YEAH BUDDY!

Anyway...I hijacked my own post LOL...SBP shift kits, yea or neigh?

I don't own one and I've never ridden one, but I have seen a lot of praise for the kit. I don't think I've come across anyone who is unhappy with it.

You'll lose your front derrailleur when you mount your engine. So you're right thinking that you'll just have your chain on the middle chain ring. (though the others are still usable. You just have to move it with your fingers. Bike standing still, of course.)

As for shifting, I simply used the old ten-speed style stem mount shifters. This allows you to shift with either hand as well as cutting down on handlebar clutter.

I have a shifter Kit with a twist shifter, i love it it is much better than a thumb shifter, have the throttle and shifter on the same side makes you take your hand off the throttle to shift, it makes shifting smooth and nice

Nothing bad to say about the 5 bikes I've built with the shifter kit. 2/3 of my personal rides have a shifter kit. The 3rd ride can't have one because the engine is mounted with a bolt through the frame.

I will never build another MB without a shifter kit install.

I still maintain that it has been the best upgrade I've done. It is more then most motors, but I figure for the most part it will last longer then my engine "I may have to replace the bearings or freewheel later" but everything else should last some time. I just love flying through the gears. :whistle:

Last edited:
I'm contemplating getting one, but the price right now is what is deterring me from doing it with how things are. $$ gets tight at times, hence the reason for motorizing my bike. I hope to save some $$ on my drive to work which is short, only 7 miles 1 way, which isn't that hard since most of the way it is fairly flat and straight. I just, today, put a different fork on my bike, but I do not think it is going to help me any. I took the fork from another mountain bike that had shock absorbers on it, but I do not think they are any good as they absorb shock just fine on the way down, but they do not rebound back up...It was off a bike some people that rented from us had left. I have another bike at another place we have that I may steal the fork from, I know those shocks work very well, however it will add quite a bit of weight to the bike due to that fork being a spring shock, but I know in the long run it will save on my arms and wrists.

YES YES YES TO SHIFTER KIT! I have built a 2nd bike as a single speed and it is very frustrating twisting the left grip trying to shift! Lower vibration at any given speed, increased top end and if you stay out of the throttle (I do NOT) and better gas mileage. I still get 90-105 miles to gallon while averaging 26.7 miles per hour. Bike computers are fun and informative.

i dont have a shift kit and only a single speed, i get 180-200mpg and up to 35mph with a 44t sprocket,and i cut most of the vibrations using rubber between engine mounts and bike frame.

i dont have a shift kit and only a single speed, i get 180-200mpg and up to 35mph with a 44t sprocket,and i cut most of the vibrations using rubber between engine mounts and bike frame.

that is how mine is set up... love the kit. highly recommended... great customer service.

Back