Scenic photos of your challenging motored bike expeditions

Discussion in 'Travelling, Commuting & Safety' started by Fabian, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Thought i would start a thread about photos of scenic places you've visited on a motored bike where the roads or conditions of the tracks were difficult and challenging, but the ride was well worth the view.

2. augidog

augidog Banned

a repost from another topic but i'll pitch in...MBc at mount st helens :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

Decided to go on a ride (12-02-10) and explore some of the more interesting and challenging tracks (ok, damm right difficult; standing out of the seat, balancing the bike and negotiating around rocks and boulders with 30T chainwheel crawler gear in stop-start fashion) at a mountain range near where i live.

I never knew this place existed - the track opened up perilously close to the edge of an escarpment and was the only easy section of trail with 180 degree views of Melbourne city.

The pics don't do justice to the steepness of the mountain.
    Love the rain falling on the city in the background.

Fabian

Attached Files:

4. augidog

augidog Banned

dang man that adventure deserves its' own topic...how cool!

5. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I had 'no idea' the view was going to be as good as it was.

On a downhill section i had to kill the engine as a decent pointy nosed boulder was jutting out into the trail, but there was not enough room to go around it with the trailer.
    I was scraping the chainwheel, negotiating over the boulder and as the trailer went over it scraped the goose neck and the back end.
    From there the trail didn't get much better with the trailer on all sorts of funny angles.

I had a couple coming towards me on foot and they were just standing with bemused expressions on their faces, that said "he's an over enthusiastic optimist about getting his bike along this trail".

To be honest, i was surprised that i got as far as i did and that the whole kit and caboodle held together.

Fabian

6. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

The trail heading back the other way

ps augidog, the trip to Mt St Helens must have been a great experience. Have you got any more photos?

fabian

Attached Files:

7. Warner

Warner Member

Very cool photos....both of you!

Warner

8. augidog

augidog Banned

nice photos!

here's my volcano topic Fabian: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=25384

hiya Warner...that entire ride was visually astounding, google up a satellite view of rt 504...talk about feeling small!...but i wasn't very inclined to stopping for pics, i just got those few for posterity.

that trailer has to be quite the commitment, but i can see it being worth it to you...it looks pretty roomy like you could carry a full compliment easy.

9. Warner

Warner Member

Agreed! It looked like a challenging ride WITHOUT the trailer.....but WITH the trailer it looked near impossible.

Warner

10. professor

professor Active Member

Why did you bring the trailer?

11. Fabian

Fabian Well-Known Member

I took the trailer along because i could and was curious to see how it and the bike would cope with a "worst case scenario", giving me some idea of it's potential for a longer trip, with the possibility of experiencing arduous conditions.

Most of the trail ride was standing out of the saddle because the speeds were so slow getting around tree roots, stones and boulders.
    In some sections i was inching my way forward paradoxically going downhill.
    35 kilos of trailer pushing from behind over awkward terrain does strange things to the riding dynamics of a bicycle.

Having said that, the downhill sections were terrifying at times, "being unable to turn around on a steep and narrow track with the only option to keep going and panic like a claustrophobic in a locked airline toilet if conditions got worse.

Fabian

12. BeauBoy

BeauBoy Member

Awsome pics fellas! cant wait to get my motor on.