Schwinn landmark 66cc chain problems

modchris

Local time
11:27 AM
I built the Schwinn landmark with the silver slant kit.. but im having problems with the chain tensioner. sometimes it bends or moves from where it needs to be... whats a simple fix?
i want to be able to ride it long distances, but i don't dare if they chain brakes due to the tensioner moving at a good speed and braking it.

there really is no solution with the stock chain tensioner....they are pretty much junk.
I wouldn't worry about it breaking, i'd be more worried about it going into the spokes at 30 mph.
you can find better tensioners on line and i think some of the vendors on the left side of this page have better tensioners too.
Or you can make your own, depending on your fabrication skills.

yeah im only getting about 26-27 mph out of it.. the bike just has about an hr on it.. but i don't trust the tensioner

I was having the same issues but what i ended up doing was placing a shim in between the clamping portion of the tensioner to get a little more clamping force on the chain stay of the frame. Also, be sure that your chain is not too tight....

I dont have a picture on hand but you could use a washer by adhering it to the inside of the bracket and putting the bracket on and tightening it down slowly so that the washer conforms to the tubing of the frame. i would also consider replacing the trashy bolts that come with the tensioner with some quality Grade 8 hardware.....the bolts provided will strip out, guaranteed.

Back