Schwinn Point beach Good for first build?

Smallblock

Local time
1:08 AM
At first i was trying to decide between a schwinn landmark and a huffy cranbrook.. you guys helped me decide on the landmark,but after more research i found the schwinn point beach which is about $50 more.Is this a good bike to build on and any body have any helpful advice about motorizing it? I know i'll have to make a front motor mount.
And what about the aluminum frame? is that a pro or a con?

Dimension wise, tube size, etc., it is the same as the Jaguar & probably the Del Mar....the only diff is the full fenders and rack on back.

A few modifications, like saddle, seat post quick release, bigger pedals, and you have a pretty sturdy cruiser.

You don't want to drill any holes in the alum tubing, when folks add bottle carriers, they zip tie them because there are no pre-drilled holes.

I was planning on not installing the fenders or rear rack.. If thats the case I'll have pretty much the same bike as the landmark...and since i'm not going to paint it or anything I actually prefer the paint scheme of the landmark.
So what it comes down to is a quality issue.
Are they both the same bike other than one has a aluminum frame and the other has a steel frame?
Landmark
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10927845
Point beach
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804
The point beach has good reviews where as the landmark has none.

I saw on one of the forums where a muffler clamp was used for a front bracket. That's probably what i'll do.

Jaguars were on sale at Target for $129 a week ago, EDIT: and the Landmark looks identical.

I prefer the alloys and the steel, it gives a sense of "heft" when going wide open.

What is the weight difference, 8-10 pounds at most?

And now that I've switched from steel to alloy rear wheels, I've recovered back 2-3 pounds, my old steel wheel/punctureproofing weighed over 8 pounds.

Last edited:
yeah,there's about proabably 8-10 pounds difference.
Walmart Doesn't say what kind of wheels are the landmark,but the point beach has Rustproof, 36-hole alloy rims with stainless steel spokes.

I just bought the landmark. Had to order it online

No, the rear wheel is guaranteed to be 16 gauge, which has been the undoing of many a first build, just can't handle the torque.

Every bike I build gets beefed up in the rear wheel and tubes, to the tune of $50 for the wheel, $16 for a punctureproof (rear) and slime tube(front), and $15 tire liners. (or at least one tire liner on the rear, thats where ALL the hassle would be).

(Even the $350 bikes have 16 gauge, some may have 14 g., but they are for pedaling only, not climbing hills and bottoming out potholes at 30+ mph)

Last edited:
Back