Schwinn Spoiler + Morini + Manic Mechanic parts = FUN!

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Creative Engineering, Jun 26, 2010.

1. This Morini powered Schwinn Spoiler was built for forum member "Gene" at the Manic Mechanic machine shop...:biggrin:

I spent a lot of time looking at different ways to attach everything without cobbling up the original bike.

There were a lot of hurdles to overcome in order to pull it off. It is not easy to motorize what was not meant to be motorized and create a finished product that is reliable, safe, and appears "production".

The drive set-up solves two problems:

1) Chain alignment from the engine to the rear wheel.

2) How to retain the original rear disc brake and arrive at a final drive ratio that is not too tall.

The engine mounts needed to be placed so that the engine would sit in the frame naturally yet still provide the neccessary unitization that makes the engine "one with the frame", and not a hap-hazard mounted stress monster that promotes future frame cracks.

The tuned pipe: how to route it, how to make it fit the bike, (look good), how to retain the dimensional data provided by Morini, was also a bit of work.

Here are some pics...

Jim

Attached Files:

2. More pics...

Jim

Attached Files:

3. And a few more pics...

Jim

Attached Files:

4. flyingpez

flyingpez Member

where can I get one of those engines?

5. BossCat

BossCat New Member

Hi Jim,

I am at present awaiting A Spoiler that I plan on putting an electic motor on. I have browsed the net for the past couple of weeks looking for pictures of the spacing on the back wheel, picture 2 in your post is the best iv'e seen so far.
    Do you have any more pictures of your chain/spacing setup on the back wheel?

Regards
    Tom

6. Here ya go!

Jim

Attached Files:

7. BossCat

BossCat New Member

8. I don't have a good pic...All I did was machine a steel sprocket that mounts with the same screws that hold the rotor on. 32T is the maximum tooth count you can use and still retain the rear brake.

Jim

9. Gene

Gene Member

10. Not my style at all, yet I still love it. Great job.

11. Gene

Gene Member

Jim and I have been making the final touches
    I wanted better brakes so I opted to install Hydraulic Brakes. As far as carrying out the theme of Indian Larry I added his point cover to the chain guard and an old school type Sissy Bar. I have also been working on the lights more on that in the near future.

Attached Files:

12. kawasaki999

kawasaki999 Member

almost done, pipe needs built.

Attached Files: